TanksHill...Roll on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
wow with all the manure those garden beds will be producing like crazy! Be ready for a monster crop! :)

oh my DH is like that. I want something simple and reasonable cost for a small project that should take 1 hr. to complete, Tony turns it into a complicated product and big expense! Ugh.....I do just like you, I say, let me think about what I want and we will do it later, then I do it myself..HA HA

(big sigh--for working with men...LOL)
I am so happy I am not the only one with this problem!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would be happy to. I have a horrible gopher mole problem so we use wire on the bottoms. My first two boxes were built several years ago and are 12" deep. I had a tendancy to hit bottom when tilling so the new boxes are deeper. This time we used 3 2x6's. I tried gardening the first two years in ground but I live on a prety steep hill so I encountered lots of problems. Anyways I hope these help. I convinced my kids to move their swing set on to the grass and I took over their spot, mulch and all. I just combed it back and put down new weed fabric. then moved everything back.

333_img_4634_1.jpg

I am thankfull for my DH hard work. Without him I probably would still be gardening on the bare hill with all my water running away. I hate to admit it but usually his complicated, take forever, more expensive way usually works better. But don't tell him I said that. Gina

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WOWZA!!!! Who's the lucky girl??? Alright, garden coveting starts now! :p I just tore up my raised bed attempt as I didn't have the lumber to go deeper than 6 in. and didn't have the extra soil or compost to fill deeper beds if I could go deeper.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well that's why I went for the free horse poop and got it loaded in now. I figure by spring it will have compoed completely and I can get away without adding much to it. I did spring on the red wood for the boxes but it last forever. The two little boxes in front are about 4 years old and still in great shape. This is the third spot for them. I hope this one works, third times a charm!!!

by the way my yard is on solid bedrock. We had to cut away a hill side to have a yerd so no loam soil etc.

BeeKissed I love your farm, I think your gardens looked amazing.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need to put my clothesline up again. The old site for it was covered up by landscaping. We have a rotary dryer and I love it! When I don't need it, I just take it out of the ground, fold it up, and put it in the shed. Since I am only drying one load at a time, it has plenty of room. The only thing that is a challenge is sheets and other very large items.

I love your raised beds!

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I think I might make some homemade yogurt today. I convinced my son that if we add some of the great homemade jams I made it will tast just like the store kind. Maybe even better.
How did the yogurt come out? My DH and I think ours has a much better taste than store bought, more mellow and less of a harsh note. I even like it plain, and I never did the store bought. I am making soy yogurt, but I bet milk yogurt is also better homemade.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think the reason for this is because--e as Americans and Canadians have a elfare system, so that no one in these countries truly goes ithout. hereas, third orld countries--the poor really have nothing. It is a Christian effort to help these ppl get some things so that they can help themselves. I'm sure it as not meant as a bust for the ppl here in these countries, and there are lots of organizations in Canada and U.S. to help the poor. As ell as elfare.

My philosophy is to help those at home first too. But if e all did that--ppl in the third orld countries ould have even less than nothing If you kno hat I mean. It is just stretching the helping hand out further.

Sorry you got offended, but I don't think that as their intent. Their heart is in the right place too.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do envy all your raised beds. I do have good soil so I dont have to do that. BUT I want to do it.....easier on a body ya know?
I refuse to give my kids or relatives money if the ask for it. I will buy groceries, pay a bill etc. But I am not just handing over money. I remember what it was like. Good intentions and all that then next thing you know, the money gets spent on other STUPID things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts