TanksHill...Roll on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, I know how that home insurance is. We don't tell them we have a Rottie. Around here they won't insure you at all. I loved my old dog, he was almost 13 and we put him down two years ago. A Rottie as well. I loved having him with my son, the dog had a great sense of right and wrong.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
March 26th,

Spent some time out with the laundry line and in the garden this morning. The day is shaping up nicely.

Had to have my dishwasher fixed again. Uggg I think I should just give up and wash them by hand.

Puppy is driving me nuts. I can't get him to go potty outside. He spends time outside and then goes in the house and pees on my bathroom floor. Just a bit confused I think. Thank goodness for tile.

Our fundraiser is on Saturday. I can't wait until its over. Lots of time and money invested in helping. I don't regret my involvement but have a gazillion things I would rather be doing.

I picked up some wire yesterday to make a couple of those potato planters. I know someone posted them as 10 linear ft wrapped in a circle. So I will give them a try.

I made a couple upside down tomato plants yesterday. My mother thinks my containers are to small. I think the shepherds hook would break if they were any bigger. We'll give this a try.
333_img_0537.jpg

Veggies are sprouting well, I even have a couple flowers on the Zucchini plant.

My new chickens are very flighty. They are golden sex links and I can't believe how much time they spend in the air. Maybe it's because they are still under 1 month. who knows?

Selling almost all my eggs now. I am up to about 10 to 12 dozen a week. This is just by word of mouth. I am working on a new coop and when the fencing goes in I will post a sign on my driveway. Maybe up production by mid summer.

Have a great day, gina

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a thread around here somewhere. I was up at 3 am last week and saw an infomercial on the one they sell at stores. We took a pole and some thought they worked and others a waste of time. I wanted to give them a try.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Yeah, I know how that home insurance is. We don't tell them we have a Rottie. Around here they won't insure you at all. I loved my old dog, he was almost 13 and we put him down two years ago. A Rottie as well. I loved having him with my son, the dog had a great sense of right and wrong.
When we moved from up north to our last home in the 'burbs, we were calling around for insurance. Alot of companies cringed when we told them we had a rottie. so we found a company that didn't care. when we moved out here--we got an insurance company who specifically caters to rural properties. they didn't care either. I think it is a total bunch of crap that they can deny you insurance b/c of what kind of dog you have. Their loss, we are still insured.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I think the shepherds hook would break if they were any bigger.
If made from plastic, I would agree with you, if made from steel, you might have to tie some support cables on the oppisite sides where it is bending.

I purchased on of those on the market upside down things this year to hang on the back porch. Other than you folks, I don't know any one else who has tried them.

This will also be my first year as an adult raising my own little flock of 8 chickens, I ordered golden comets. :celebrate

I miss the taste of good eggs, well that were less than $3 a dozen anyway. We eat those land-o-lakes Omega-3 eggs which are pretty good. The kids are so excited about getting some new pets, I promised that they could each have one that we will keep until they expire. They understand that once egg production stops in a couple years, they will be good eats.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Jay, I think the main problem with the sheperds hook was that my containers were not the same size. I replanted the larger one and all is good.

I love my chickens. I have had several types over the past 5 years. Right now I have 24 laying hens and one roo. Mixed flock, buff orps, barred rocks, and some Americana's(sp).
I also picked us 24 golden sex links. 10 will be going to my friend. I think, he is supposed to be building a new coop. I really wish I had not volunteered to be a hotel. Business and friends don't usually mix. This summer my goal is to learn how to process my birds. Uggg.. Not sure if I can handle that one.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
April 20, 2009

It's hot, really hot today. Running about 100 degrees int he shade on my porch. I hosed down the rabbit run to keep her cool. I have the sprinkler running on the hens and I gave in and turned on the AC. So much for saving on the electricity bill.

We had a nice little vacation last week. Took the kids out to the desert for spring break. Did some off roading and hanging out with friends. Came home yesterday because it was hot!! No surprise there.

Good news it's just after lunch and I have already dried three loads of wash on the line. It is actually so hot and I am moving so slow that by the time I have the laundry on the line and across the yard it's pretty much dry. Nothing like catching up on the wash after a camping trip.

The new puppy is good. he had a great time playing in the desert with all the other dogs. I think he grew a ton while we were there.

Not much else going on. Just trying to stay on top of things. Have a nice day. gina

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Lucky you to be able to hang out the wash. I had to wash and machine dry a million loads of laundry yesterday. My power bill is going to be sky high. It won't stop raining long enough for me to get my laundry out on the line. Nothing like Mississippi in the spring. Rain, Rain, and more Rain. Of course it only rains on the weekends when I am home to wash and dry. Week days while I am at work the weather is perfect. LOL Just like the weather to foil all my plans and energy saving methods.

I like your coffee can upside down tomato planter. I use regular old hanging flower pots with holes drilled thru the bottom. I will plant leaf lettuce on the top. I call them my salad pots. I only plant the cherry tomatos in the upside down pots. I tried regular tomatos last year and my tomatos just did not get as large as normal. But the little cherry tomatos do great.

I sure am glad we are not up to 100 days yet. I am not looking forward to those.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I don't miss the high heat at all. I think it might get 90 degrees a few days in the summer, but not often. In August it lingers in the mid-high 80's.

Being that I am about 30% Italian ( Grandma was from Italy ) you would think I wouldn't mind the heat. But I grew up here in the milder temps, so I love the temps here.

Our evenings here are cool in the summer, but in late july early august. Fans come out of the windows, and our three ac window units go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.