1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Tapping trees for Syrup

Discussion in 'Homemade Products' started by CrealCritter, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Sep 26, 2019
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

People are making millions...literally....on YT channels. One young girl started out giving make up tips and now she has her own make up line and was a millionaire by the time she was out of her teens.

It's all about hits, subscribers, followers on Twitter and other social media and if the channel is monetized.

If you get a large enough following, then businesses start sending you product to try and then give a review on, you get your own merchandise and market it, etc. All sorts of channels can get this sort of thing~hair care, homesteading, sewing, singing, make up and fashion tips, mechanics, horse training, etc.

There's even a zit popping channel or two that gets millions of hits and subscribers, earning the owners huge money.

If you happen to get a vid that goes viral, it can run into the millions just on that one video.

Here's how much a simple vid on WD-40 on headlights made....$22K!

2. Sep 26, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

:ep I need a channel and video....and product...for millions? I'm in!! :lol: Tomorrow I take DGD to school. Guess what the topic will be? :D Yeah, she's a techy.

CrealCritter and Beekissed like this.
  3. Sep 26, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I wish you all the luck in the world.

4. Sep 26, 2019
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

Just be forewarned that if YouTube decides whatever you are talking about is not part of their agenda, you will be "de-monetized". It's happened to most of the channels that talk about prepping, guns, wildcrafting... that sort of thing. It got so bad that now there's another host for videos called "Patreon"-- instead of ads and such to pay for it, you subscribe to different channels you are interested in watching for a certain amount of money per month. Some as little as $1 a month and going up to $100 a month

Lazy Gardener and Beekissed like this.
  5. Sep 26, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

There is definitely an agenda. Many folks choose to buy into the PC agenda, or bury their heads in the sand, with the attitude, "This really doesn't affect me. I may not approve, but... since it doesn't affect me, I'll not waste any time or energy speaking out against it."

6. Sep 27, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

We discussed what it meant, how to do, how it works etc. to set up...that was the easy part. I dropped her at school. I thought. Well, not going to be a millionaire from that. :lol::lol: Hey, what's an old lady got to say?

I went on to work and that was over.

Did meet up with a lady, by chance, when at work who also makes goat soaps, goes to fairs, etc. to sell. Much like what I was doing 3-4 yrs ago. It's more my style. :D I am certain I will need "something" to do that includes off-farm time & actual humans, when I retire. :hide

Lazy Gardener and baymule like this.
  7. Sep 27, 2019
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

Just a little tip for making maple syrup, make sure the trees you're tapping are actually maple! I was talking w/someone a few years ago that tried to make syrup, and had no luck. I looked at the trees. They weren't maple-they were sweet gum.

8. Sep 27, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

You made me laugh and spit out my drink. Now my shirt and little phone are all wet.
    :lol:

Mini Horses and baymule like this.
  9. Sep 27, 2019
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

That’s funny! Pitiful, but funny!

Mini Horses likes this.
  10. Oct 1, 2019
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

If you don't know your trees, it's an easy enough mistake to make. The leaves of a sweet gum are similar to a maple. But, the branching pattern is different, and the sweet gum has a prickly ball for a seed pod.