Teaching an old shed new tricks

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are nearly finished converting a 12 x 16 foot shed into a chicken coop/shed. We will use half the building to house chickens and the other half to house their supplies and things. It has been an interesting project so far but it is coming along nicely, if not a little slowly. Not much to look at but it should function well and keep the girls safe and comfy. Once the run is complete we will be in business.

Need to push this project along a little faster too since we will have 10 white leghorn chicks come May 3.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Will you brood them in the chicken coop or do you have something else in mind? I brood chicks in horse water tubs, on the porch. A clamp on drop light, window screen over the top and it works. LOL

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First couple of weeks will be in the house. Once we are sure they are healthy and doing well we will move them out to the coop. it should be ready by then and hopefully the night time temps will stay above 55-60 degrees. They will stay in a 4x4x2 foot plywood box with a heatplate and essentials until we feel they can explore the whole coop.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This time tomorrow we will have chickies about the place. Unfortunately the chickies won't be the first residents of the new/refurbished/modified shed/coop. While doing some work out there today I discovered that we have a squatter living in it already. A Carolina Renn found her way in through an over hang that I haven't completed yet and moved in. She is just about finished with her nest and I don't know whether to remove it or let her be. Hard to know how Mother Nature might take it so I will leave it for now.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
6FC200AB-7434-42FF-9DA0-DC8F8FD9271F.jpeg
C028700D-4EBD-4ADE-8B44-BD36A0C97A6F.jpeg

okay …… it is official :weee

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Watching these chicks learn about life is a total riot ........ haven't stopped laughing since we got them home.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, this isn't funny any more. It was fun watching them learn how to scratch around on the paper towels but it has turned nasty now ..... the little biddies have either billed or scratched most of their feed out onto the floor and all of them are merrily scratching away, mixing it up with the poop. Looks like they are having a good time anyway.

Latest posts