Television

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As the deadline approaches for the new television system, I am wondering how many self sufficient members are buying in to the new system? Are you upgrading your tele system, are you getting the government sponsored converter box?

Personally, we are not. There really is not much worth watching on TV anyway. Visons of Max Headroom are still dancing in my head, with the government TV everywhere...we, as a nation are already headed that waya..you can't even enjoy a fast food break without some stupid televisions going.

What are your thoughts?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I don't have a TV and I'm still loving it! I don't think the "boob tube" makes people stupid, but I do think it takes up a lot of time that could be put to better use :p

sunnychooks

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have to agree about not having a TV. We haven't had one for almost 13 years and really don't miss it. We do have a DVD player that is hooked up to a TV Set, but we only rent a movie every couple of months. We do LOTS of reading and always have plenty to do. We're NOT anti-TV but for us the expense was just not worth the amount of time we would actually watch it.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have cable, so I don't think we will be affected. We mainly have cable for the faster internet service. Without cable, I wouldn't invest in broadcast TV and I really don't care about HiDef at all.

Inchy

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a new tv, it was hubby's birthday gift two years ago, plus he just won one at work (now he's working on setting up a rec room for it (I wanted to sell it). We have it hooked up to a FTA (free-to-air) system. I personally could do without the tv, I use the satellite radio side of it more, but the rest of the family can't seem to do without.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Did get the converter box but so far on the test days it hasn't brought in anything, despite being programmed.
I checked the website that shows what might be received with digital and our area shows only one channel if there are no trees. I live in a heavily wooded area adjacent to a forested park. I understand the digital signals come in horizontally, unlike the arcing signals currently broadcast to analogs. :tongue

I don't watch TV but DH wants to. I'm fine with the selections online.
We have a TV that we only use for DVDs and there are few movies that we haven't seen.

One last rant on the converter boxes. Why didn't we award the contract for the boxes to an American company, specify that they need to be made here, give that income to our communities? My box says Made in China. We are subsidizing this anyway, why not boost our economy in ways that make sense?
:rant

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
With satelite we did not need a convertor box in the house. Dh has a tv in his shop(don't ask) & had to get one for in there. Personally I would love to give up tv after this tv season is over as ER will be done & there really is not much on that is good. WE can rent & buy videos to watch or watch the ones we have now. We would save $60/mo if we dropped satelite, but dh won't do it as he has to watch his NASCAR!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have satellite TV so no problem there.

I think TV has alot of value. There are some great shows on there and alot of valuable information with documentaries etc. I find it good entertainment when I want to watch. Don't watch much but when I do I sure want it...LOL

It is the person picking the shows to watch which is the "trouble" so to speak with TV.