Television

Reaction score
We have satellite. It's the only way to get any TV at all. We have a DVR which unfortunately requires a higher level of service than we need. We have HBO because it has 2 shows we like. There are also good movies every 2 months or so. We also record movies for the kids. Network TV drives me nuts with all the commercials. We like some of the evening dramas. Record them on DVR and fast forward through the commercials. I could get by without TV though. When the kids are all gone we might drop it. Then they can come visit and find out how boring Mom and Dad really are.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Heard on NPR radio that the information regarding the digital conversion was not as honest or complete as it could have been. There will be a new campaign to inform analog users that a conversion box might not be all they need. They may need a new antenna, too. So much for the cheap $20 box to get digital. :tongue

In addition, they neglected to tell us that there will be a need for using the scanning feature more often because the digital signal for a station could suddenly change. :he

Finally, in Australia where they made the switch a while ago, they need to change again as their systems are already outdated.
Glad we decided to go down that path. Ok, that was meant to be snarky.:somad

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'd personally like to see all the digital satelites explode in some kind of solar blast or something, and not be repairable for at least a year so that alot of the people who are addicted to it can experience the freedom of not having it waste all thier time and their family time. I'd like to see it happen to the internet too, not that I wouldn't have withdrawls...I'll be the first to admit i am addicted...and could get much more done in a day without it as a time waster. At the same time, I love it as a research tool.
But would I like alot of today's time wasting technologies to go away for long enough for ppl to realize how much more we would actualu connect without them? YES!!! Imagine getting a REAL person on the phone again when you call a store? Imagine getting REAL service again? And that is just the beginning...sheesh I must be getting old, I'm starting to think like my grandmother more and more:>)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, for us FTA users, dishnet's gonna be going down soon too, so our boxes will go into the closet.

I don't watch the satellite much anyways. I have my old fashioned tv antenna on the tv that I watch, but I do have a new tv. If it died, i wouldn't lose sleep over not having tv.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Well, for us FTA users, dishnet's gonna be going down soon too, so our boxes will go into the closet.

I don't watch the satellite much anyways. I have my old fashioned tv antenna on the tv that I watch, but I do have a new tv. If it died, i wouldn't lose sleep over not having tv.
HAHA! well, no more TV here if that happens...is this true?
DH is gonna have to find himslef a hobby, it looks like...wonder if I should get him started on turkeys...LOL! that would go over like a load of bricks...well, I'm not sure whether to tell him that or not...if i tell him now he'll want to get another source of TV now, If I wait till it happens he might just waste alot of time "waiting" for it to come back....hmmmm...but it is kind of funny:>)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
don't worry- I'm sure someone will crack the code. From what I heard, no one has been working real hard to get bell up again, cuz dishnet still works. Once it goes down, I'm sure someone will figure it out.

But then again--maybe not.... no one was able to crack the direct tv codes.

I just know that I will not lose any sleep over it. I much prefer the internet to tv, but I seriously could survive if I had to without the internet.

Reaction score
When we were without power for 6 or 7 days during a rainstorm, we found out how much our TV meant to us. How sad it was. Then the light we had was too crummy to read by. We went to bed pretty early.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
When we were without power for 6 or 7 days during a rainstorm, we found out how much our TV meant to us. How sad it was. Then the light we had was too crummy to read by. We went to bed pretty early.
Two years ago we lost power for 6 days due to a really bad winter storm. We had a rectifier that connected to the vehicle battery that we used to charge tools when at worksites, the tv and satellite were the first things hubby plugged in. We now have a generator and when we wired the house for it, dh insisted the tv/sat. had to have their own outlet to run too, next to the fridge, furnace/water heater and the main computer which runs our phone as we don't have a landline phone.

I can take or leave the tv, I mostly use the FTA for the satellite radio when no one is home (get my 80's fill...LOL) but DH can't live without tv, I've never understood it. Last time the FTA went down for those few months, our movie rental went through the roof including joining a mail order one. Hopefully they won't be long getting it back up. I know it won't be permenant, hopefully won't take them long either but I just hope our receiver can make the switch.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
That happened to me...with "over 40" eyes I sure need great light to read with...and when power went out....my lanterns didn't do the trick. Early night to bed here also...LOL-LOL

Time to upgrade my lighting system for outages definitely!!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Yeah, that happened during a snow storm for us. While my mom and I had tons of fun (puzzles, reading, board games) my step-dad was MESSED UP. For the first 1-2 days he just sat, staring at the blank tv.