Television

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We are all avid readers, so we love to snuggle down in the quiet house with books. Sometimes when we just have to have some noise, we will play cards or board games and laugh ourselves silly. I don't miss regular TV at all, except maybe the Andy Griffith show or the Beverly Hillbillies! :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That sounds like our house--tonight we played Chinese checkers over popcorn and smoothies, then headed to the living room for snuggly reading time with the kids. As soon as summer is here, even book reading goes out the window to make room for all the growing and gathering of summertime :)

Gotta say, though, vegging out in front of a TV sounds awfully lovely some winter nights!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We had popcorn tonight too! :) Popcorn and grape juice, of all things....the boys can get a little weird! We played Rummy and the boys got gross and funny. I finally had to call the game for bad air issues....if ya know what I mean! :sick :sick :sick :smack

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Nothing like a little intestinal gas for some rip-roaring hilarity! (pun intended ;) )

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With our move to the country coming up and also a move further into retirement we are talking about not having a TV at all, mostly due to cost and signing up for satellite radio....its got many channels and lots of different programs. There is some good radio available over the internet also!

TV can be such a distraction and with radio you can keep focused on projects

CARS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
T.V. hmmm...

I've been seriously thinking about down sizing our T.V. Not the screen size but the satellite package. The problem with the cheap basic packages is that they don't have the real good, educational channels. I would die without DIY, HGTV, History International, all the Discovery channels, and SPEED channel.

I swear they do this on purpose. I wish you could order your channels "ala cart". Then I could get what I can't live without and pick the channels that are "family friendly" ;)

BTW, if you want to make yourself feel better my satellite bill is >$80.00 :ep
4 recievers (one is a DVR so I can get stuff done and then watch my shows when I have nothing better to do) and over 180 channels. And somedays I can't find anything to watch!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
We already know that even with a converter box and the largest available antenna we would not receive the digital signal. We will be going without. This is a bigger issue for my husband than for me. But I'm glad we found out before investing in any of the high tech receiving devices.

The reason for this problem is that the analogue tv signals are waves, whereas the digital ones are direct (linear), so if there are hills or trees between you and the tower, you will be out of luck -- the signal can not pass over the obstacle. You will be forced to use cable or some other service provider.

I agree that radio is a great alternative. One local radio station that broadcasts NPR has weekly local garden shows, and it is nice to be able to listen and actually work on something at the same time. :D It kind of feels retro. ;)

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The whole transition is not affecting us because we have satellite. I think most television is trash or a waste of time, but we couldn't even get local weather if we didn't have satellite. We have the least expensive "package" we can get. We live way out in the country, have no social life, and I am at home all day and sometimes nights when DH is at work, so I'd get pretty lonely without it. I just wish I could get a handful of channels I really want and pay for only them. The cheap package doesn't have HGTV, DIY, all Discovery and History channels, etc.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I could soooo do without television.

Anyone want to come rob my house and remove the TV's from the place? :p :gig

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I noticed that a lot of folks said that the male member of the house has a hard time being without TV. That is the same in my household. I like watching it, for downtime, but I don't feel I need it.
We have the basic cable service or just one notch higher, (SO picked it). We noticed lately that most shows are either "reality" tv or are based on violence. Even Animal Planet are having more violent shows and more "reality" tv.
We rent movies through netflicks and like that service. We did reduce it to the lowest level last month though, for two reasons: lack of money and we don't have time to watch a full on movie once the growing season starts.
I agree, it would be nice if you could pick the channels you want and then pay for those. Instead of them saying this is what you get at this level.
And have you noticed on a lot of shows that could be interesting, they repeat themselves after every commercial, like we couldn't remember from three minutes ago?
By the way, we bought a new large screen tv a year ago, after living with our old one that had lines across it for two years (while saving for the new one.) Remember I said SO cannot live without one!!! :lol: