Television

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Who grew up without TV?

:frow

I didn't have one as an adult either until I moved in with my SO. He has a big flat screen, cable, HD...

We don't watch very often - except football.

I guess I don't get the point (of TV AND football) :idunno

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
My parents were always against a t.v. being in the living room, so we never had one until I (the baby of 4) was about 16 years old. It was never in the living room, it was in the "den".
I grew up in the country, we got one channel.. Maine Public Television, so we watched a lot of NOVA.

For my 16th birthday my parents got me cable TV for one year... at the time I thought it was great, but now I hardly watch TV anymore. Maybe an hour each night while I wind down reading and drinking a cup of tea.

My parents would never allow us to have TV's in our bedrooms, there was only one in the living room...

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We already had 10 years of DishNetwork. I called and hit a special around Christmas, so we got a free (for $10) upgrade, with a new satellite dish, and a new receiver, and now we can access HD on 2 tvs (downstairs), and non-HD upstairs. Also, we bought a Vizio 42" HD. We watch a LOT of recorded stuff and movies at our house.
We didn't need the adaptor that the government so RUDELY made Americans pay for!!! :somad

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've had Direct tv satellite(sp) for 12 years and cable before that and only because DH insists on having tv and what's worse he has to have it on anytime he's at home-even if in the garage or yard. We only have one in the livingroom and it drives me nuts to leave it on when nobody is watching it. I'd rather it not be on at all during the day---there is so much more to do with life than to be glued to a tube. I'll even go so far as to say, I'd rather not have a tv at all.
I'd be more than willing to give up whatever programs & news I do watch.
HeHeHe (evil laugh)---I threaten to blow it up or have it mysteriously disappear whenever the opportunity arises!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Who grew up without TV?

I didn't have one as an adult either until I moved in with my SO. He has a big flat screen, cable, HD...

We don't watch very often - except football.

I guess I don't get the point (of TV AND football) :idunno
I grew up without TV, even before we started homesteading. My dad felt that TV was bad and called it the "idiot box". :p

The irony of that? As he became more senile, he started watching TV more and more until he sits all day staring at the idiot box. Guess he was right? :hu

I don't get the point of football at all unless one is actually playing it in a big, green field in early spring or early fall and and there is no one in the stands.....just you and your friends playing for blood, sweat and tears! :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Who grew up without TV?

I grew up in Africa, and tv only came out when I was about 5 or 6 years old, and then black and white and it only broadcast between 5-8pm or something like that, mostly news. SO I didn't watch tv at all until I was into my teens and shows like Dallas showed up. :th

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've had TV most of my life, when we moved to Belize, we rented an apartment for 18months whilst our house was being built and had cable TV for which we had to pay an extra charge.

It seemed quite a waste of money, we hardly ever watched it.

When we moved into our new house, we decided we were not going to have TV, we are too far out for cable and satellite is too expensive.

We just bought a TV and DVD and occasionally watch a movie, I say, occasionally, because we bought some DVD in November 2008 and I haven't watched any yet.

We can get all the news we want on the Internet, my husband has a subscription for football on his computer.

I do not miss TV at all, in fact I think it's a waste of time.

One thing I did miss when moving to Belize, Was BBC Radio 4, but when we had our satellite internet connection installed I can get podcasts, so who needs TV, not us.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't get the point of football at all unless one is actually playing it in a big, green field in early spring or early fall and and there is no one in the stands.....just you and your friends playing for blood, sweat and tears! :D
I'm with you on that.