Texas SantaFe High School Shooting

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there isn't a simple explanation for what ails this country.

A local teen took their own life this week. No real details.

Have we stopped showing our kids how to deal with adversity in their lives?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I entertained the thought that this young man might have had help because of what I know about the town in particular. Definitely not going to condemn everyone in this town or the young people of the school. Nobody deserves to have that happen to him. But, despite the media's portrayal of this 'sleepy little town' ask any law enforcement officer in this area their opinion of this town and they will tell you to stay away. Don't go there after dark. It has a reputation as a rough area and there have been confirmed meetings of racial groups through the years, and intolerance of any one who looks different or thinks differently.

It has gotten better over the years - but there is still an air of intolerance and violence permeating the area.

Maybe this tragedy will contribute to change?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am afraid of what kind of change... That's the problem...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I attended a candlelight vigil and prayer tonight for two local boys that died recently due to car accidents and also for the Santa Fe high school shooting victims. The vigil was organized by local churches. Several hundred attended, it was a very moving event...

#ArmOurTeachers
#SchoolConsealedCarry

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With all the shootings that have been going on I would feel a hole lot more comfortable if my little man's' teachers where armed.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
As a teacher, I am in favor of arming certain members of the faculty but not all. I am more in favor of heightened security and local police guards roaming the halls. In the event this happens, we have to gather students and go into lockdown. Not much time to locate an intruder.

As a preacher, we need to look to God to remind us of what we are missing. We need parents, peers, and community members that give and receive love to all around. We live in a time that has a lack of true love for one another that it undermines respect and dignity.

My two cents