Thanksgiving~ What's on your menu?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
no clue yet. i work thursday but i'm off at 630 and have fri/sat off.

i wanna do something really fun. turkey can roast all day while i work.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We will do the family tradition. My DIL will come the night before, and stay the night, to help in the morning. Our dinner will consist of....
Turkey stuffed with bread and sage stuffing,
Mashed taters
Gravy
Jellied cranberry sauce
Corn
home made yeast rolls
sweet potatos
a big veggie tray, carrotts, tomatos, green onions,green and black olives, cauliflour, fresh broccoli,celery.
A cheese tray with my home made goats milk cheese, and a few store bought cheeses.
desserts will be chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies,brownies, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and fruit salad.
It will be hubby and me, our son and his wife and 2 kids, my step dad, and I invited another couple....who has no plans for Thanksgiving. We like to get as many family members together as possible, and try to invite at least one or two guests. The women cook and get everything set up while watching the parade, they guys in the family room with football on....after dinner is cleaned up..we get out the Christmas tree, and get at least one of them set up and lit for the evening. This is a family tradition from many generations, one I want my kids to continue with...and they have. :)

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
but there will be pie, thats for sure.
;-)
and
ohiofarmgirl said:
the best is, tho, the next morning when we all shuffle into the kitchen, drag out the leftovers, and have turkey dinner for breakfast - with a lot of pie of course
We shoulda been sisters!:hugs

Ummm, not sure entirely what's on the menu this year as I'm going to a good friend's house. I know there will be standard libby's recipe pumpkin pie and my favorite (b/c I'm bringing it;)) apple butter pumpkin pie. I'm gonna show up on Wednesday, help cook, and stay through sometime on Friday! :ya

When I'm the one cooking, we have:
Roasted turkey - the biggest one I can find, cuz I love me some turkey sandwiches
turkey gravy (no giblets)
cornbread stuffing the way Grandma showed me to make it (recipe, what recipe?)
broccoli casserole
sweet potato casserole (with nuts/butter/brown sugar on top)
green beans - NOT casserole, just plain green beans
sometimes mashed potatoes
sometimes corn
rolls of some sort, preferably parker-house style :drool
canned cranberry sauce (YUCK! but others like the stuff)
And OF COURSE the apple butter pumpkin pie, and whatever other pies friends and family want to contribute - pecan, anybody? Please?
with heavy whipping cream - whipped, of course :lol: to put on top of said pies!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
'Jama day sounds good. I usually wore a dress for it, that had no waist band. Easy on the belly. We don't have any nearby family so I will pick and choose what I feel like making.
There will be pumpkin pie. If he doesn't want that- he can just eat a pile of whipped cream. :plbb (He will anyway, but I'm not supposed to notice. )
We'll have cranberry sauce with the berries
I can make my pumpkin cookies again. He went through them very efficiently last year. I'll have to hide some for me. :hide
We must have stuffing, but I will put it in acorn squash.
He likes ham, not turkey, so he'll have that.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
We're so lucky! We're in the OFG camp 'cuz we got good neighbors too! :woot All our family is in the NW so we're excused. At J & L's we cram about 30 people into a 900 sf house. Crazy loud family fun!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year!! :weee

We'll be going down to NC (me, hubby, kids, and my brother, and probably the puppy) to visit my sister and family and my mom and her SO. We're leaving Wednesday and coming back home on Saturday. Dinner (we usually eat mid afternoon) will be at my mom's.

Usually we have something like:

Turkey (provided by me this year, homegrown yay!)
-mashed potatoes
-gravy
-dressing made by mom (that I used to not like but every year I like it more)
-some form of sweet potatoes :lol:
-watergate salad
-sometimes cranberry/jello sauce
-homemade sourdough rolls
-some vegetable like corn, green beans, etc.
-deviled eggs

And my sister is doing dessert this year. We're having an apple slab (which is better than a regular pumpkin pie she says :drool), non-dairy punkin pie, and a pumpkin log. There might be something else but I can't remember right now. :D

I can't wait though...after dinner we lay around in a food induced coma for a while, then play some board games, then eat some more. :lol:

And then, we're going to wake up at a ridiculously early time for.....

Black Friday Shopping!!!!!:weee We're going to look for a few things that have really good sales. Then we come home and sleep and eat some more. :thumbsup

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
the best is, tho, the next morning when we all shuffle into the kitchen, drag out the leftovers, and have turkey dinner for breakfast - with a lot of pie of course

;-)
I am with ya sister! The best breakfast of the entire year.....turkey dinner in a bowl covered with gravy :woot
My family thinks it is disgusting but it is the best thing ever...especially when followed by punkin pie! :woot :woot

Wifey, thanks for the recipes! I already had the cauli bake in my files :) Just didn't realize it was the same one!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have managed to keep 2 sticks pf pepperoni hidden from the hungry horde (aka Max) so I could make mine. I didn't, however, realize Ed had scarfed down all the cauliflower.

Do you people have any idea how hard it is for me to get all the ingredients together for a recipe to make anything???

:barnie

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i got myself invited to auntie's lol. now i just have to be brave enough to leave the house.