The best SS youtube videos!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
k0xxx said:
She does have some great videos. I came across her channel while doing some research on Solar Ovens.
I spent some time looking at videos of solar ovens this weekend, but no one really shows how to actually make them, just how to cook with them (except for the lady with the pizza box oven)...does anyone have any links for videos on actual construction?
Here's one. As far as construction, it's about the best that I found on YouTube. The video shows the construction to about the 90% completed stage, but doesn't finish or show it being tested. The gentleman that uploaded the video, stated that he planned to upload a "part 2" in a couple of weeks, but that was three months ago. He has some other videos that are interesting, such as building a vertical axis wind turbine, building a solar panel, etc.

There's another set of build videos that I came across, but gave up on about the 9th one (He has uploaded over 40 videos on building this one oven). He's making the oven out of sheet metal. Do a search on YouTube for "Colorado Bob's Solar Oven".

There just isn't that much out there in in the way of YouTube videos detailing the actual construction. I have a friend that bought a commercially produced solar cooker, the Sun Oven, and he hasn't ever used it. I'm currently trying to work out a trade to get it, but he's hanging tough at the moment. I may have to sweeten the deal a bit. :D

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnZeVfc6-CQ

Also go to:

http://www.allseasoncooker.com

I have made two of these solar cookers and they work very well when the sun is very bright but like most solar ovens and cookers they loose efficiency drastically when there is even a slight overcast sky or clouds.

La Joie's cooker is adjustable and he uses a very handy and clever pointer to optimize the position of the cooker. His diagrams and instructions are great. If you decide that this is the cooker for you make sure you follow his instructions carefully and use the plastic construction board that he recommends - it's very nice. Also his use of aluminum tape instead of foil is much better. You can polish the tape if it becomes scratched or dull and you cannot polish aluminum foil.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
The video shows the construction to about the 90% completed stage, but doesn't finish or show it being tested. The gentleman that uploaded the video, stated that he planned to upload a "part 2" in a couple of weeks, but that was three months ago.
I've noticed that a lot. You watch the first video, then can't find "part 2"...arrrrgh.

Thanks guys, I will check these out!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I liked that one on rabbit butchering. If I do any meat rabbits it will be along the lines of that...