The Bread Thread!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
actually, if you grind your flour from whole wheat to use as the starter, the little buggers are already on the wheat grains... sort of like the yeast already being present on grapes. Even if you don't grind your own flour, there are local yeasts present in the air-- so each person's sourdough is a wee bit different ( like San Francisco sourdough is different from Seattle sourdough). DH has been making sourdough for years (he is even trying it with Carbalose flour- that created a beautiful tang and only 5 carbs per slice- although it makes a somewhat dense loaf) and he has had to restart things from scratch a few times if we don't keep it active enough to crowd out the bacteria. He has NEVER used anything but wheat flour and well water. Do NOT use chlorinated water- that will kill the microorganisms before they have a chance to get started.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of Carbalose flour...(until just now when you mentioned it and I Googled it, lol). I may have to try some of it!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My sourdough has been made from whole wheat I ground here from some wonderful red turkey wheat stored up during the 70s, sealed into metal canisters for the year 2000. It's still wonderful wheat and practically makes the bread itself, it rises so beautifully.

Got a successful starter sitting on the counter now and will be giving it a try this coming Monday, for making of sourdough pizzas.

It's simple to make a starter, so no need to really "start" one with any cultures or anything...it all happens from the wild yeasts in the air, as Britesea stated. As it gets older and deeper, it's supposed to become more rich in flavor. Can't wait!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My sourdough has been made from whole wheat I ground here from some wonderful red turkey wheat stored up during the 70s, sealed into metal canisters for the year 2000. It's still wonderful wheat and practically makes the bread itself, it rises so beautifully.

Got a successful starter sitting on the counter now and will be giving it a try this coming Monday, for making of sourdough pizzas.

It's simple to make a starter, so no need to really "start" one with any cultures or anything...it all happens from the wild yeasts in the air, as Britesea stated. As it gets older and deeper, it's supposed to become more rich in flavor. Can't wait!!!

So the wild yeast in the you are trying to get to infect your wheat is Lactobacillus? It's a matter of chance capturing wild yeast from the open air. There are numerous kinds of wild yeast in the air and some types are not good for you at all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough

I think one would be more successfully using a starter like this.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/sho...MI0vHKktLK4QIVUbbACh2jHQM6EAQYAyABEgIp3_D_BwE
1522_05_11_2018__14_37_36_456.jpeg

I would also add that at least for the starter, don't use city water. Almost all city water contains chlorine, some times of the year more chlorine is added (spring & summer). Chlorine would definitely inhibit the growth and reproduction of Lactobacillus.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So the wild yeast in the you are trying to get to infect your wheat is Lactobacillus? It's a matter of chance capturing wild yeast from the open air. There are numerous kinds of wild yeast in the air and some types are not good for you at all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough

I think one would be more successfully using a starter like this.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/sho...MI0vHKktLK4QIVUbbACh2jHQM6EAQYAyABEgIp3_D_BwE
View attachment 10584

Nah...the LABs will soon take over the mix, even if one were to capture something less than desirable. Been done this way since time began, CC, and you can't really argue with success....but leave it up to mere mankind to decide THEY know better than God how to make a sourdough starter. ;)

Same with doing FF for chickens. All the people who think they know too much were expounding that the bad bacteria would form due to the anaerobic nature of LABs, said they can not have any O2 to reproduce...but they all take that for the LABs CAN'T have the presence of O2 and reproduce. They forget that they don't NEED O2 to reproduce and the presence of FREE O2 can inhibit growth, though LABs are aertolerant anaerobes, so they CAN tolerate O2~ but keeping something in a wet, moist culture, such as a pickling crock, an FF bucket, etc. keeps the bulk of LAB production under the moisture layer and away from FREE O2.

The argument went up and down that way for some time until a microbioligist came on BYC and set the record straight once and for all. She took the FF samples to her work lab and ran testing on the presence of bacteria, molds, yeast in the FF. LABs won the day and the others cannot fully survive where LABs thrive. The acetic acid that is a byproduct of their feeding on the grain also inhibits the growth of "bad" bacteria.

The so-called "mold" on top of pickling ferment, FF that sits too long without stirring, etc.? It's yeast, not mold, and only forms on TOP of the SCOBY, where it comes in contact with free O2. It does NOT form "tendrils" down into the pickling ferment...the large presence of LABs, lactic acid, acetic acid and salt prevent "bad" bacteria from entering that mix.

So the much touted LABs sold commercially to make sure your sourdough will only have LABs only are for those who don't want to believe that the old ways are still the good ways and that THEY know better. PT Barnum says there's one born every minute. ;)

Last edited: