The Bread Thread!

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone used whey to start sourdough?
Does it make a difference if it's whey from cheese making or whey from yogurt making?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't yet, but I'm aiming that direction. Do you?

I'm not much of a bread maker. While I'd like to turn out at least one loaf/week (or other shape of bread) I am hesitant b/c I really don't like to bake, and I know it would be a temptation that hubby and I can ill afford in terms of "fat making".

That's good to know! They sound delicious!

Weigh in this morning shows 86 lbs lost in less than 10 mo.

Congrats Bee. That's nothing short of miraculous. That's more than 2#/week.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's good to know! They sound delicious!

Weigh in this morning shows 86 lbs lost in less than 10 mo.
What have you done to accomplish this? Details please? I want to lose 20-25 pounds and seem to be stalled, wavering around at 138-142. Besides I want a more sustainable diet, not this almond flour, coconut flour, blah, blah, blah, imitation food.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What have you done to accomplish this? Details please? I want to lose 20-25 pounds and seem to be stalled, wavering around at 138-142. Besides I want a more sustainable diet, not this almond flour, coconut flour, blah, blah, blah, imitation food.

There's no simple answer for that, Bay, except obedience to the Lord. I had never been on a diet in my life but me and a few members of my family are subject to very slow metabolisms, so we have to work harder and eat less to achieve any wt. loss at all. I knew that much and I knew it was going to be hard work and a long haul to get back to normal.

So, I didn't know exactly how to proceed and asked God how to do so. He brought me through a year's learning on such things until I finally arrived here, where He taught me it's not about a special diet of cutting out this or that and feeling like one is getting cheated of something all the time.

It's all about changing one's relationship to food, which has been deified in our lives to such an extent that it even has a cult following called "foodies", several shows on TV and more starting every day, and food occupies the thoughts of most people more hours a day than it should.

In the Bible it's called idolatry, and I was one who was committing just such a sin. That one and also one called gluttony, wherein one takes in more of something than they really need...one does not gain wt. over the years, however slowly and steadily, unless they are consuming more nutrition than their body really needs.

I've treated food like a best friend, comfort when I'm feeling sad, nervous, lonely or even when I'm feeling joy! God is the only One Who should occupy that space in my heart, He is the One I should be going to for all those emotions and He had to show me that this year.

So, God has been dealing with me on these two sins, for without my breaking them and getting those out of my life, no matter how much wt. I'd lose in some fad diet, I'd gain it back eventually anyway.

All wt. loss thus far have been in response to eating what He says to eat and not eating when He says not to eat, praying for help, guidance, and strength and just....enjoying the ride! I have been having a ball on this diet!! :celebrate Every day has brought a new thing to learn, an exciting twist in the road and more ideas from the Lord on how to proceed.

The short answer, I guess, would be the God diet. :D

Right now He's been telling me to turn back the clock to the old ways of eating and living~hard physical labor all year round~which I love anyway, small portions of nutrient rich foods, plenty of fresh foods~vegetables, fruits, home grown or foraged meats on occasion, healthy fats, fermented foods, and just paying attention.

Food is a joyful experience that He has given us so that we will want to put nutrition in our bodies, so I'm to get back to enjoying the preparation of meals, eating at the table instead of in front of a book or computer, eating more with my hands so as to make it a very tactile experience. Everything in moderation, limiting processed foods, eating more from the garden and field and harvesting that each day, eating it freshly harvested.

Going back to how we lived when we were homesteading, basically, when I was fit and lithe. But, with a better mindset about the importance of food in my life...it's going to get its proper place from now on. Once I get my eating routines and supplies established, it will not occupy much of my thoughts at all except for when I'm actually eating it.

Told ya it wasn't a simple answer! :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well we sure got our exercise today. We cleaned about 400' of fencerow, on the neighbor's side. Green briar vines were starting to climb the fence, low hanging branches and small trees next to the fence. We machete chopped, pulled, wadded up and pushed away from our fence.

We came in at 1:30, hot and tired. Ate leftovers for lunch, took a nap, then I went back outside. I put insulators on the T-posts, getting ready to run a hot wire. A neighbor came over and we separated lambs for weaning. I caught 10 of them and was out of breath, the neighbor caught one, then Trip walked the last two into the weaning pen. Thanks Trip!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well we sure got our exercise today. We cleaned about 400' of fencerow, on the neighbor's side. Green briar vines were starting to climb the fence, low hanging branches and small trees next to the fence. We machete chopped, pulled, wadded up and pushed away from our fence.

We came in at 1:30, hot and tired. Ate leftovers for lunch, took a nap, then I went back outside. I put insulators on the T-posts, getting ready to run a hot wire. A neighbor came over and we separated lambs for weaning. I caught 10 of them and was out of breath, the neighbor caught one, then Trip walked the last two into the weaning pen. Thanks Trip!

I've been wondering why is Trip's name Trip? Did he eat some peyote as a pup?