The Bread Thread!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just did the bonehead stunt that one does when making bread sometimes....and doing a hundred other things...all at one time. I forgot to add my other ingredients after the sponge had made and just started adding my flour. Got the whole durn dough ball practically made before I realized I had left out the salt, oil, and flax seed meal. :rolleyes:

I really HATE wasting good, home ground whole wheat flour in that way...it was from the last of the wheat I had in storage. I had given all the rest away to family and friends. :(

Back to the drawing board.... :he

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bake it and give it to the chickens (they love "mistakes"!)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I used the wrong flour :p I was trying to do mine while putting things away and grabbed the wrong kind :hu If it doesn't do well I'm with lesa...the animals enjoy it.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
I might be able to get off with just 2 containers... we don't use whole wheat a lot... hubby thinks that if it sits too long it goes bad... so we just don't buy it. :/
Your hubby is correct. In fact, it is quite possible that whole wheat flour is already somewhat rancid when you buy it, depending on when it was ground. If you buy it keep it frozen or refrigerated, in an airtight container, and don't buy much at a time. I never used much whole wheat flour until I got a grain mill - DH didn't like it, and it always went bad before I was able to finish the bag. Since getting the mill I have been adding wh. wh. flour in greater quantities to my bread recipes, and DH hasn't complained. I use white whole wheat though, which is not as strong tasting as the red wheat.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I just did the bonehead stunt that one does when making bread sometimes....and doing a hundred other things...all at one time. I forgot to add my other ingredients after the sponge had made and just started adding my flour. Got the whole durn dough ball practically made before I realized I had left out the salt, oil, and flax seed meal. :rolleyes:

I really HATE wasting good, home ground whole wheat flour in that way...it was from the last of the wheat I had in storage. I had given all the rest away to family and friends. :(

Back to the drawing board.... :he
As ;long as you didn't forget the yeast it will probably still be OK.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm sure it would have baked up just fine....but I can't bear bread without salt. :sick

Dog got it.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lesa said:
I have made all our bread for years. It has become a habit now. In the last year, I have started with rolls (hamburger, hot dog, and dinner) as well. The bread recipe that I make every week is mixed in the bread machine and baked in the oven. It is super easy. For those of you who don't have to worry about gluten- adding a few teaspoons to your bread will make it much easier to slice ( better for sandwiches).
It's become habit for us, too.

A couple of facts, from which you may draw the obvious conclusions for yourself:

1. People have been making bread for thousands of years, all without the aid of bread machines.
2. The middle class lust for afordable white bread lead to bakers cutting the flour with large amounts of alum,
which made the bread taste terrible and eventually resulted in the food adulturation legislation
in the UK.
3. Loaf pans give bread a weird shape---like a belt on a fat person.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm sure it would have baked up just fine....but I can't bear bread without salt. :sick

Dog got it.
Oh, I agree entirely! When I was first making bread I made a salt free loaf for my Grandfather, who was on a low sodium diet. He, and others, claimed it was very good - but I think they were just being nice :lol:. I thought it was awful! The funny thing is that I generally do not add salt to anything, having a very low tolerance for it - I find that things that others like are more often than not over-salted for my taste. But I have never made bread without salt since that one time :lol:.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Obviously, you do not need to use a bread machine to make bread... For my schedule, I enjoy using it. It keeps the mess to a minimum- no dough on my hands. I work from my home, so you know anytime you are elbow deep in something- a customer comes in! I do enjoy making bread without the machine ( and all the rolls are without it), but only if I have some uninterrupted time on my hands (weekends). I do not have trouble with whole wheat flour going bad. I always use half and half- so the two kinds get used up equally.

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I joking told my FIL a few months ago that he should give me his Oster breadmachine, and he did! Said it had never been used. I love it! I just finished picking up my kitchen and was looking to find a new recipe to try when I decided to pop in to SS real quick!