The Bread Thread!

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have any special bread equipment. I like to do my bread by hand. I usually just shape mine and throw it on a cookie sheet to rise. I like baking bread because you sort of build a relationship with the dough. It's a living thing (the yeast) and there are so many variables that effect it. The Ingredients, how long you knead it, Humidity, and temperature of the room, the heat of your oven. My MIL once told me that it is the baker that makes the bread, not the recipe. And she's right. Plus once you get the basic concept down you really get a feel for how the process should go. Then you can experiment all you want. It's only bread after all. I've made plenty of mistakes. We've eaten it anyway. Its amazing what a little olive oil, with salt, and herbs can hide.- All but one horrid brown mass of heavy bread that made its way out to the birds :p.
Here is a good first time recipe. Because of the high yeast amount it is difficult to mess up. Most bread recipes don't require so much. It's good for boosting confidence and getting an idea for the process. I got it from a very popular thread by the same name on BYC.
Homemade Gump Bread

2 C. warm (almost hot) water
4 tsp. yeast
1 T. sugar... Combine all 3 let rise 5 min.

1/4 C. oil or butter (if using butter set oven to 400 degrees)
5 C. Bread flour (or half bread flour, half whole wheat)
2 tsp. salt ...Add to yeast mixture and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 20-25min.

Beat down and make 2 loaves (or one loaf and buns) Roll out into a rectangle then roll into a loaf. Place seam side down on 2 cookie sheets and cut diagonal lines across the top.

Allow to rise 20-25 min. Bake 350 degrees for 20-25 min. until golden brown. Let cool 10 min before slicing.

These will seem like the longest 10 min. of your life.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mmmmmmm! This sounds AMAZING! Fairly simple bread as well.
Is it good for sandwiches? That's my husbands biggest complaint is that my bread isn't good sandwich bread. I think it's mostly because I'm using AP flour and not bread flour tho. He likes to just eat the bread, but not for sandwiches.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Mmmmmmm! This sounds AMAZING! Fairly simple bread as well.
Is it good for sandwiches? That's my husbands biggest complaint is that my bread isn't good sandwich bread. I think it's mostly because I'm using AP flour and not bread flour tho. He likes to just eat the bread, but not for sandwiches.
Have you looked for Vital wheat gluten? It's available at most Walmarts and groc stores, I think. That should help the rise.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When we go to the store again I'll look for it.
It's not that it doesn't rise... he just says it's "too crumbly" to use as sandwich bread. I think he's just used to bread out of a bag and doesn't know what he's talking about. I have used my bread as sandwich bread and it was fantastic

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If you want less crumbly, add more oil to your recipes. That's what makes it less brittle and it holds together MUCH better with additional oil and is a good bit softer. My recipe calls for 2 tablespoons, I use nearly 1/3 cup though to keep the crumbs down and make it less dense. I have to make my own bread now due to allergies, so I need it to be multi purpose, not just to eat fresh with butter. I love the denser version for garlic bread, toast, or while it's still warm with butter but once it cools it's a crumbly mess and sandwiches fall to pieces. For sandwich loaves, it has to have more oil.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lesa said:
Well, k15n1- you certainly are Mr. Negative. You took four words out of my post and made it sound like I don't like to get my hands dirty. I really think it might be rude to ask my customers to wait for service, while I add flour to my hands and rinse. I do make my own bread-both with the machine and without. I didn't realize your bread making technique was the one and only. Perfect way to discourage another SS member. Enjoy your bread.
My main point is that there is no one way to make bread. No special equipment, time, or energy, or recipe is needed. Making bread is easy and more people should do it.

And, to respond directly to your comment about my comment about your comment about keeping your hands clean, I was just trying to give you a tip about how to avoid a sticky mess. That's what I do, anyway. I also try to clean out the bowl that way (flour + rubbing) to avoid a big blob of sticky dough in the sink drain.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
If you want less crumbly, add more oil to your recipes. That's what makes it less brittle and it holds together MUCH better with additional oil and is a good bit softer. My recipe calls for 2 tablespoons, I use nearly 1/3 cup though to keep the crumbs down and make it less dense. I have to make my own bread now due to allergies, so I need it to be multi purpose, not just to eat fresh with butter. I love the denser version for garlic bread, toast, or while it's still warm with butter but once it cools it's a crumbly mess and sandwiches fall to pieces. For sandwich loaves, it has to have more oil.
'
Hmmmm... more oil..... but wouldn't that make it more sticky?? I'm not a very experienced bread maker... so...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Wannabefree said:
'
Hmmmm... more oil..... but wouldn't that make it more sticky?? I'm not a very experienced bread maker... so...
It does a bit, but you can oil your hands too to keep it from sticking so badly.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The recipe we use only calls for 1/2 cup oil and makes a huge batch of bread. Bread is only sticky if you don't add and knead in the right amount of flour, IME. Personally, I like my dough just a tad sticky as I think it makes for a softer, less crumbly bread in the end.

Texture has a lot to do with just how much a bread is kneaded, though I'm sure the other factors weigh in. I've just noticed that my bread has a finer texture(same recipe we've used for years)when I'm not in a hurry and take the time to knead it more.