The Bread Thread!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A near perfect rise!

100_0424.JPG

100_0426.JPG

Using disposable shower cap for covering the dough ball....

100_0423.JPG

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today I changed my good ol' bread recipe back to its original ingredients and even added a few extra. It was originally meant to contain flax seed, sunflower seeds, raw honey but over the years I just took short cuts until I was just using the called for flour and then brown sugar for sweetener.

Today I used the ground flax seed and sunflower seeds, added half cup of rolled oats, raw honey and coconut oil instead of canola oil. The next change I make will be using even more of the whole wheat and slowly try to get rid of all the use of white, refined flour.

Then, I'd like to turn it into a sourdough and just keep it there from now on. All these changes are geared towards moving back to the old ways of eating that kept us healthy all the years we were growing up but from which we slowly moved away...with horrible results.

To date, this is the best tasting bread I've ever made, though Mom's bread was always this good because she used all the original ingredients in hers. A crispy, thin crust, a nutty flavor and a deeper flavor to the sweetness.

A more nutrient dense food that requires eating less of it to gain the necessary daily nutrients.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My goal is 150... 80 pounds away. I've lost about 75 already so I'm halfway there. When I get to my goal, I plan to VERY CAREFULLY add some carbs back into my diet. Probably go with the standard diabetic diet which would allow for some bread and potatoes. If you are missing pizzas and such, try the Fat Head dough... it's quite successful at making a decent pizza crust... as well as things like bagel dogs, cinnamon rolls, soft pretzels...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, keep up the diet, it works. It's hard to give up all the foods we love, but I just can't keep on keeping on. I'm overloaded on eggs right now. Normally I would make a pound cake, it uses 12 eggs. But not now!

Bay, I'm not on any of the diets folks are using right now like keto, paleo, etc., and I'm not having to give up any of the foods I love at all, so it's pretty sustainable for me. This is the first time I've dieted in my life and it's been extremely exciting, a wonderful learning process and God has brought me around full circle to the life style I'll be on from now on, which was just our old way of eating but even more enriched.

I won't have any trouble at all staying on it or keeping the wt. off as I'm not having to depend on my own power to do that, the Lord will be managing my eating from now on. And as it should be and should have been all along.

I'll weigh myself tomorrow and let y'all know what my current wt. loss has been in the past 10 mo. It's been rather remarkable!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
actually, if you grind your flour from whole wheat to use as the starter, the little buggers are already on the wheat grains... sort of like the yeast already being present on grapes. Even if you don't grind your own flour, there are local yeasts present in the air-- so each person's sourdough is a wee bit different ( like San Francisco sourdough is different from Seattle sourdough). DH has been making sourdough for years (he is even trying it with Carbalose flour- that created a beautiful tang and only 5 carbs per slice- although it makes a somewhat dense loaf) and he has had to restart things from scratch a few times if we don't keep it active enough to crowd out the bacteria. He has NEVER used anything but wheat flour and well water. Do NOT use chlorinated water- that will kill the microorganisms before they have a chance to get started.