The Bread Thread!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My sourdough has been made from whole wheat I ground here from some wonderful red turkey wheat stored up during the 70s, sealed into metal canisters for the year 2000. It's still wonderful wheat and practically makes the bread itself, it rises so beautifully.

Got a successful starter sitting on the counter now and will be giving it a try this coming Monday, for making of sourdough pizzas.

It's simple to make a starter, so no need to really "start" one with any cultures or anything...it all happens from the wild yeasts in the air, as Britesea stated. As it gets older and deeper, it's supposed to become more rich in flavor. Can't wait!!!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been using a sourdough starter that I got from a friend on BYC. It is from the sourdough starter that traveled the Oregon Trail back in the day. I believe it is called Carl's sourdough. http://carlsfriends.net/
this is good stuff.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Please read wyoDreamer post about pink nasties. Like I said capturing yeast and mold from the air is up to chance. But once you have a starter it's good to go as long as you keep it healthy by feeding it wheat and water, non chlorinated of course. You can then use it whenever you want.

I do know lactobacilli thrives in a low PH and around a 85 degree F environment. Other than that, this is where my knowledge & experience ends.

Don't know what to tell ya about that. All I know is my family of women have been using sourdough started right at home for generations, as have women since the beginning of the world. I'm sure someone, somewhere have a mix that either had the wrong start or the wrong feeding or just the wrong flour and/or water, but for the most part, if done the way it should be done, it usually produces the same thing~good sourdough.

Same with canning. Some swear that they have all sorts of problems canning safely, so they pronounce all home canning unsafe. If done right, it's a reliable and safe way to process and preserve food and preserve it for many years at a time.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had made a good sourdough starters many times before attempting it in Wyoming. It was just the one attempt that went so wrong. Somehow I just caught the wrong yeast on that attempt.

I am going to attempt to use the starter I have now on homeground whole wheat and see if I can get some sourdough whole wheat bread that is edible. I would like ot be able to make bread from whole wheat without using any white flour. Right now, my attempts are producing a very, very heavy loaf.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This reminds me of a beer that Rogue Brewery tried making... using the yeasts in the brewmeisters beard! LOL it worked... he's been in the brewery for so many years. If you happen across it, it's called Beard Beer, and it's surprisingly good considering its weird inception.