The Bread Thread!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use this grain mill https://grainmaker.com/products/grainmaker-grain-mill-model-no-99/ and I absolutely love it. I used to have Lehman's grinder, but I wore it out (twice!) so I decided to go with a better one. This one appears to be as good as the Italian Diamante, but it's less expensive and it's made in Montana, so easier to get parts etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've heard of folks hooking a drill up to a hand crank grain mill. If I buy a mill, I think I would look at this option. Then, if the electrical system crashed (we've been w/o power for 13 days during an ice storm) I would still be able to use it, AND, I could run it with the drill to save wear and tear on my arm. I've been keeping my eyes and ears open for a while, but not ready to spend the money yet. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer, wonder if there's a mill attachment for that???

Yep, there is. Any one have experience with this?:

kitchenaid-mixer-attachments-kgm-64_1000.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bee, you would have been proud of me this weekend. 11 year old grand daughter and her friend wanted to make bread. She had saved some recipes on my husbands phone, but ran it down so far that it took a looooooong time to recharge. She was at a loss for what to do. I said, what about a BOOK? A COOKBOOK? And I handed her a bread book. She shrugged and they found a recipe for ciabatta bread. I got out the grain mill and some white wheat, we milled the wheat and made flour. They enjoyed that. Then I walked out of the kitchen and let them have at it. They made a good bread and had fun doing it.

I use a Family Grain Mill. I have the hand crank (never used, but I have it if I need it LOL) and motor.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/famil...IVBsNkCh30zQWWEAAYASAAEgJJ8fD_BwE#description

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bay, just think what those girls will be telling their friends at school and such! They probably felt they were really homesteading having to grind the grain to make flour! :D Before long they'll be wearing poke bonnets and calling their dads "Paw". :gig

I LOVE it that you gave them the kitchen and let them figure it all out...you are one brave woman. :celebrate

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Nothing beats a good cookbook! :) Love that the girls got to do that, ground flour, bake bread... Wonderful!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule That is the place we bought our grain mill from. We have the Country Living Grain mill - we bought it with the motor. I love that mill.

I love that the girls got to look through the cookbook and select their bread recipe the old fashioned way, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our grand daughter likes to cook, bake mostly. She wants to have her own French bakery. She has always wanted to go to Paris, France. For spring break, she and her Dad went to London and Paris. She saved her money up for the trip, Mom and Dad kicked in and for Christmas she got money from the family. Our son gave her 100 Euros for spending money.

She's done enough cooking here that she knows her way around. She carefully measures everything, leveling off a cup of flour with a knife. Me, I just jiggle it, eyeball it and dump it in. She disapproves. :lol: We've made bread before, she has a thick cookbook, each step is color illustrated and it has a killer rosemary focaccia bread recipe. And we have made pizza dough for home made pizza.

She likes the youtube videos where you have to watch it 6 times to figure out what ingredients you need. Drives me nuts.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! My granddaughter - same age - loves to cook. Last year for Christmas one of the gifts I got her was a cooking basket. A couple of cookbooks, a spiralizer, an apron, and a bunch of utensils. She loved it!

Latest posts