The Bread Thread!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today is a blustery day, with a little snow, a little rain and a little sunshine....perfect for bread and soup making. Will make our regular half whole wheat/half white bread and also some focaccia bread. Made some cream chicken soup filled with rice, broccoli, asparagus, onions, celery~made the cream from schmaltz, so particularly flavorful.

Also cooking down a chicken carcass along with veggie scraps I've been saving in the freezer for making stock. Been doing that off and on this year and really need to thaw out all the bags of stock and can them up or use them as a base for soups and can those.

LOVE these kinds of days....very restful, lots of good smells and flavors, and the best of all~I can listen to good Bible teaching while I do these little busy chores around the house. Bliss!!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good time to refresh this thread with many areas experiencing shortages...….YEAST is nowhere to be found! I'd sure like to see who's making all this bread! And how'd it taste? I haven't bothered to make bread on a regular basis in a long time but, reconsidered with the sell outs. Now, I don't eat a lot of bread -- except fresh, warm, homemade. Get the drift? I'll smather it with real butter and consume a lot. A whole lot.

So - sourdough starters work for a nice bread if yeast is in short supply where you live. I have time to get one started before I do run out of the yeast I have on hand. :old

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Good time to refresh this thread with many areas experiencing shortages...….YEAST is nowhere to be found! I'd sure like to see who's making all this bread! And how'd it taste? I haven't bothered to make bread on a regular basis in a long time but, reconsidered with the sell outs. Now, I don't eat a lot of bread -- except fresh, warm, homemade. Get the drift? I'll smather it with real butter and consume a lot. A whole lot.

So - sourdough starters work for a nice bread if yeast is in short supply where you live. I have time to get one started before I do run out of the yeast I have on hand. :old

I keep a couple of years worth of vacuum sealed yeast on hand, stored in the freezer. When those packs are opened, I store the yeast in a qt. canning jar in the fridge. That's the beauty of being one of the folks who make bread on a regular basis....we always keep well stocked up on supplies. That comes in handy long about now.

Bought one of those packs for my DIL awhile back, who said she wanted to make bread but then never did, so I have that one at my disposal as well, as well as any flour she has on hand.

I usually make a very large batch of bread, formed into flat buns that can be sliced and used in the toaster, and I freeze them so I can thaw them out a few at a time as Mom and I need them.

Made a pan of focaccia bread for my DIL today when she was visiting so she could take home some fresh bread. I don't mind making bread for her every now and again if I get to keep her yeast and flour. ;) :D

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

if you start with yeast in a bowl, add some warm water and flour to get it going and then after a bit keep it in the fridge can't you just keep that going indefinitely if you refresh the flour, water and perhaps a bit of sugar here or there? i seem to recall this as being a pretty standard method and i'm not sure it fits under sourdough, but it seems to have stuck in my brain. i think some people also put some beer in there, but that would not be me... i like beer once in a great while, but having it in some container in the fridge like that would bring back memories of Mom's curlers in beer in a bowl in the fridge. oops... i guess that's too late. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Google recipes for Irish Soda bread, it doesn't take yeast and will make a nice loaf of bread.