The Cast Iron Skillet supper thread - one pan wonders for busy folks.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Leftover Chicken Fajitas :)

Start with all chicken bits you can salvage from a previous chicken dinner
(reserve carcass for stock)

1-2 sliced yellow onions

2-3 bell peppers, one green, one not

tablespoon of cooking fat of choice

1/2 pint of homemade salsa

tortillas

sour cream

Saute peppers & onions in oil (or butter or rendered fat) until onions are translucent, add chicken and some salsa, cook a couple minutes to heat through.

steam tortillas over pan (i use one of those wire mesh splatter covers right over the skillet)

serve on hot tortillas with salsa & sour cream (and hot sauce!)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I like to cut up red potatoes, friend until crisp, add onions, peppers, spices, ground deer meat or lean beef and melt a little cheese on top when it's done. Just a little, doesn't matter what kind but I prefer Pepper Jack.
Ohhhhhhhhh...... I make a version of this - minus the cheese add a little broth and cooked red beans.

Think I will try adding a cheese topping next time.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had a grandma that was a cast iron virtuoso, and when I was a little guy my I had a babysitter that was an elderly plump black woman that would cook an entire breakfast for the two of us with just a cast iron pan and a fork!
When I was a boy scout I had the last of the old school scoutmasters, we cooked all kinds of great stuff in a Dutch oven, and when I was a big kid I became a hard corps 18th century living history professional reenactor.
Yeah, I love cast iron.

I just put a meat loaf in the oven. I usually cook them in a skillet with no cover, but this time I am making a larger one than usual - so I can have leftovers to save time/energy later in the week. This time I had to use my cast iron pot w/lid. (NOT a Dutch oven. Those have legs and a lid you put hot coals on. I have one of those, too)

Anyway, here is tonight's meatloaf:
2.5 lbs ground beef
large handful crackers (often I use toasted stale bread, but had none this time)
1 fair sised onion
3 jalapenos, about the size of my thumb
2 large eggs
garlic powder
salt
pepper

Diced up jalapenos, being rather cavalier about removing the seeds so it will have just "that" amount of heat
Diced up and sauteed the onions in bacon grease on the stovetop.
Broke eggs into beef, crunched up crackers into it.
Dumped jalapenos and onions in the mix
Added liberal salt, pepper, garlic
Mixed well with my hands
Greased the bottom of my pot with a bit of bacon grease
Formed the loaf into a rough ball and plopped it into the pot
Had to add a silly garnish of ketchup on top of it. DD maintains it isn't meatloaf without that
Will now cook at 400 for an hour or so

As all can tell, I am not as scientific about my recipes as I am about other things.....

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Toulle said:
I had a grandma that was a cast iron virtuoso, and when I was a little guy my I had a babysitter that was an elderly plump black woman that would cook an entire breakfast for the two of us with just a cast iron pan and a fork!
When I was a boy scout I had the last of the old school scoutmasters, we cooked all kinds of great stuff in a Dutch oven, and when I was a big kid I became a hard corps 18th century living history professional reenactor.
Yeah, I love cast iron.

I just put a meat loaf in the oven. I usually cook them in a skillet with no cover, but this time I am making a larger one than usual - so I can have leftovers to save time/energy later in the week. This time I had to use my cast iron pot w/lid. (NOT a Dutch oven. Those have legs and a lid you put hot coals on. I have one of those, too)
Your meatloaf sounds great! I always cook mine in my Dutch Oven (at least in my neck of the woods the one with legs is called a Spider. ;) ) :p

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hamburger Pie

Cut up potatoes, cover with water andd cook til tender.
Drain and set 'tators to the side.

Add 1 lb of burger and one diced onion and a minced clove of garlic - Brown hamburger and onion, drain grease
Dump in a can of green beans
Add a can of tomato soup (don't add water)
Mix

Now mash the potatoes with butter and a splash of milk to make them kinda creamy. 'Ice' the top of the skillet with the mashed potatoes.
Stick in the oven (350) for about 20-25 mins or until bubbling.

Good in the winter and good with garlic toast.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I do like Farmfresh, switch hit with different cast iron cookware.It's kinda hot around here in the summer, like most places.So i like to set up my tri-pod and dutch oven for outdoors cooking, cause it to dang hot in the house..! I do a outdoor red sauce very much like the Op , but use ground chicken instead and allot more fresh garlic.

Latest posts