The Cast Iron Skillet supper thread - one pan wonders for busy folks.

S

sunsaver

Earlier today i picked a handful of Lima beens. Some are white, others are green, pink, and purple. I thought they we so pretty i decided to share a pic of them here:

3514_limas.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My sister's Jaynes makes a skillet supper with limas.

First he breads and fries up some pork chops and then he smothers them with some lima beans and a bit of water and lets it all simmer. ;)

S

sunsaver

I like to cook them new potatoes and ham. They go very good together!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Similar to what Grandma Nettie used to do but she would actually put her skillets into a fire, like when we were burning a brush pile. She would prop the pan on some rocks in the midst of the brush and then light the pile.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
paul wheaton said:
Hot off the press. I uploaded this video about eight minutes ago. It shows a cast iron skillet fished out of the garbage, covered in gunk. The gunk is burned off and a new seasoning layer is put on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgP-6W_YN4
Cool beans. I scrounged up two cast iron pans that were really rusty. I remember reading what you have posted at richsoil.com, but heading back there now. I have yet to use the pans as DH is afraid I'm going to poison him. Thanks for posting this, Paul!

Edited to add: Paul!! What's up with your cast iron link? It won't open from the youtube link or richsoil.com link.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just tried it again and it's working fine. How weird. Before it was like the page wouldn't completely load - page was there, but no text in the body. Must have been a glitch on my end. Sorry for the hassle. Now on to read about cast iron pans again - Thanks!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
paul wheaton said:
Hot off the press. I uploaded this video about eight minutes ago. It shows a cast iron skillet fished out of the garbage, covered in gunk. The gunk is burned off and a new seasoning layer is put on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgP-6W_YN4
Thank you so much for this link! I have a large cast iron fry pan that has great sentimental value to me (it was my son's) but, by the time I searched through his things for it, it was in rough looking shape and I was afraid ruined. Now I just need to get some fire brick (which I need for another project anyway) and I can hopefully bring it back as good as new :)