The Cast Iron Skillet supper thread - one pan wonders for busy folks.

S

sunsaver

Tonight i feel like eating some Cajun inspired cuisine. I have some hot and spicy andouille sausage, and i know just what to do with it:

New Orleans style Andouille Sausage with Penne Pasta and Spicy Alfredo Sauce:

Start with some butter in your cast iron skillet. Cut the smoked sausage in 1/2 inch thick slices. Brown them in the skillet for several minutes. Add equal parts of chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cajun cooks call this the Holy Trinity of cooking. Add a chopped clove of garlic.( Not too much or it will over power the smoked sausage flavor that you've built up). Add a sprinkle of salt and more butter, or use salted butter, about a 1/2 stick. Simmer on low until onions start to turn clear. Add some chopped parsley and sage. More parsley than sage. Again some restraint is in order. We want the sausage flavor to remain intact. Add a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and chili peppers or home made equivalent. Fill the skillet with water to within 1/2 of the rim. Bring to a rapid boil. Add a couple handfuls of penne pasta. Bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until most of the water is gone. Mix two tablespoons of all purpose flour in a 1/4 cup of milk or half and half. Add to the pan slowly while stirring. Stir often on low heat until sauce thickens. Turn off heat and add 4-8 oz of shredded real American cheese or mild cheddar. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve with salad and garlic bread. Enjoy!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think I'll thaw some sausage I have tomorrow and make this on Sunday! I have all those ingredients. Usually every recipe I see I am missing one darn thing and have to make do, but I HAVE all that! :weee

S

sunsaver

I hope you like it SD! I cook more by taste and smell than by set measure. My ingredient measurements are not set rules but approximations. Taste testing at every stage of cooking is very important to me. I am very critical of food, and find it difficult to find good restaurants in north Louisiana.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I wish you guys could have attended my huge yardsale! It was the ultimate SSers grab bag...you name it, I had it! My mom sold almost her entire iron skillet collection for $25.... :th Two young guys bought them. A long griddle, dutch oven and lid, several different sizes of skillets, sausage griddle, etc. There must have been 10 pieces and they got it for a song.

I like to cut up red potatoes, friend until crisp, add onions, peppers, spices, ground deer meat or lean beef and melt a little cheese on top when it's done. Just a little, doesn't matter what kind but I prefer Pepper Jack.

We also make a wonderful slumgullion in the skillet that I love....basically consists of nearly every garden veggie, simmered and with corn meal added. Tastes great over pasta, biscuits, potatoes, etc.

We don't have anything BUT one dish meals here and most are created right in that big, black skillet! :drool

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Love my skillet. I usually throw a bunch of whatever I have in it.

Last night's skillet surprise.

Bacon fat and a little butter
Green onions
Celery
Carrots
The one pepper from my garden
Swiss chard
Leftover Pork cut into small pieces

Biscuits on the side.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
This one I call ...

Mushroom Madness

Bacon - lots of it cut into big chunks
Mushrooms - lots of them (preferably morels ;) ) cleaned and sliced
Onion - finely diced
Salt and Pepper

Bread (preferably homemade) - thick sliced and toasted then slathered with butter.
Slice of cheese and sliced tomato (optional)

---
Fry the bacon in the pan until crispy. Remove from pan. Add onions to the bacon grease and begin to saute them. When they are well started add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and saute well until the mushrooms are almost done. Add the bacon back into the pan and re-heat it.

Serve this simple concoction open faced on the toasted, buttered bread. Top with cheese if desired while hot. Eat with tomato slices, ice cold tomato juice or ... how about a Bloody Mary? :drool

S

sunsaver

All of these sound good, especially using up what ever happens to be growing in the garden. Morels are rare around here, but oyster mushrooms are fairly common and so tasty and meaty. They don't taste like oysters, just really good mushrooms! Most of my meals are one pot meals. Easy gourmet' every day. Keep 'em comin y'all!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH actually ate some of this and pronounced it good! It's the first time he's eaten squash that hasn't been breaded and fried.

Garden Squash Skillet

chopped onion, as much as you like
1 clove of garlic, chopped (optional, I like it with and without)
2 medium zucchini
2 medium yellow summer squash
1 cup thinly sliced carrot (I just grate a carrot into the pan instead)
4 to 6 ounces sliced mushrooms (I didn't have any)
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (or more!) :D

Heat up your oil and cook the onion a bit, add garlic if using it. Dump remainder of veggies on top and stir fry for a few minutes until veggies are crisp/tender. Stir in butter and toss in the cheese. Let it stand for a couple minutes to melt the cheese and serve.

If I'm busy in the kitchen, I have stir fried the veggies for a couple minutes, added a drizzle of water and put the lid on the pan. Check it after a few minutes and the veggies will be just right.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Tonight's supper was a basic ...

Summer Skillet

Pork link sausages - big ones like for putting on a bun :cool:
Taters sliced
Onions sliced
Yellow squash sliced
Onion slivered
Cherry tomatoes cut in half
Salt, minced Garlic and Pepper

Brown the sausages in a bit of bacon grease and remove from skillet. Put taters in skillet and fry like you would for fried potatoes, adding in onions when they are about half way done. Next add the squash slices and continue to saute. Now add back in the sausages. If desired you can chunk these up. Finally toss in the cherry tomatoes.
Season this all well and then DIG IN.