The Down Side of Free Ranging Chicken

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
If I had my way, all of my poultry would free range year round, except on the coldest days when frostbitten combs are probable. Thanks to having made the decision to have a "better" half, who happens to have a green thumb and loves his garden more than he loves my chickens (seriously, what is wrong with him?:rolleyes: ), I am forced to keep my flock(s), the ones that don't jump the fence that is, confined until the garden is pretty much done for the year.

So, from September until usually around March, my beloved chickens have control of the property.

The pros of free ranging, IMO definitely out weigh the cons, but there are a few problems we've found that have cropped up in our free ranging experiences. I thought I'd share the "rundown" of problems with all of you, in hopes of helping some of you decide to free range or not to free range. :p

1) Chickens have no sense of ownership. More precisely, they don't think YOU their human, have rights to anything. Everything you see in the yard becomes theirs. They have a way of marking their property, too, by smearing their poo over whatever it is you might be wanting to use.

2) Chickens demand to know everything you are doing. Planning on digging a hole? Plant a post? Did you get the chicken seal of approval yet? If not, you best wait until you do! Going to mow the grass? There's a parade of chickens behind you, making sure you don't miss a blade of grass! :lol:

3) Chickens have predators. Sadly, this is an awful truth. I lost my favorite Silkie, PJ, to a chicken hawk. So far, he's been our only predator loss in a little over a year. A good rooster is a must for free ranging, as he'll warn your little ladies to run for cover!

4) Hidden Nests. Sad, but true. Once they get that taste of freedom, they don't want to waste one minute of it by returning to the coop to drop their cackle berries. We've found, at the minimum, 4 hidden nests this year.

5) Broodies without permits! That's right, little Mama's to be will run off and hide, and you think they've been the victim of Number 3, only to find them a week after they've disappeared on a clutch of 11 or more eggs! This happened to us just today. It's also the main reason for my post! :lol: My white smooth feathered Sizzle disappeared a bit over a week ago. Couldn't find her anywhere. Today, E found her sitting under a brush pile, in the pasture field, sitting on 11 eggs!!!

6) Any Animal Feed is For the Chickens Ok, maybe not, but tell them that! Feeding the dogs when the chickens go to roost is the only sure fire way of knowing the dogs got to eat any of it!

7) Your only purpose is to bring them treats! Chickens think everytime you come out of the house, it must be to bring them some goodies! If you come out empty handed, they will doggedly follow you everywhere until you give in and get them some treats.

I'm sure I can think of other "cons" to free ranging, and if I do, I'll add them. :p

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
If I had my way, all of my poultry would free range year round, except on the coldest days when frostbitten combs are probable. Thanks to having made the decision to have a "better" half, who happens to have a green thumb and loves his garden more than he loves my chickens (seriously, what is wrong with him?:rolleyes: ), I am forced to keep my flock(s), the ones that don't jump the fence that is, confined until the garden is pretty much done for the year.

So, from September until usually around March, my beloved chickens have control of the property.

The pros of free ranging, IMO definitely out weigh the cons, but there are a few problems we've found that have cropped up in our free ranging experiences. I thought I'd share the "rundown" of problems with all of you, in hopes of helping some of you decide to free range or not to free range. :p

1) Chickens have no sense of ownership. More precisely, they don't think YOU their human, have rights to anything. Everything you see in the yard becomes theirs. They have a way of marking their property, too, by smearing their poo over whatever it is you might be wanting to use.

2) Chickens demand to know everything you are doing. Planning on digging a hole? Plant a post? Did you get the chicken seal of approval yet? If not, you best wait until you do! Going to mow the grass? There's a parade of chickens behind you, making sure you don't miss a blade of grass! :lol:

3) Chickens have predators. Sadly, this is an awful truth. I lost my favorite Silkie, PJ, to a chicken hawk. So far, he's been our only predator loss in a little over a year. A good rooster is a must for free ranging, as he'll warn your little ladies to run for cover!

4) Hidden Nests. Sad, but true. Once they get that taste of freedom, they don't want to waste one minute of it by returning to the coop to drop their cackle berries. We've found, at the minimum, 4 hidden nests this year.

5) Broodies without permits! That's right, little Mama's to be will run off and hide, and you think they've been the victim of Number 3, only to find them a week after they've disappeared on a clutch of 11 or more eggs! This happened to us just today. It's also the main reason for my post! :lol: My white smooth feathered Sizzle disappeared a bit over a week ago. Couldn't find her anywhere. Today, E found her sitting under a brush pile, in the pasture field, sitting on 11 eggs!!!

6) Any Animal Feed is For the Chickens Ok, maybe not, but tell them that! Feeding the dogs when the chickens go to roost is the only sure fire way of knowing the dogs got to eat any of it!

I'm sure I can think of other "cons" to free ranging, and if I do, I'll add them. :p
If they see you carrying anything or eating something, they automatically assume it is for them.

They pick the best seats on the porch swing.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
LOL Keljonma.

I sat down with a bowl of raspberries the other day and my ducks came over to see what goodies I had. I let them have a few. They just mashed them up in their bills and did not swallow. So then they started to dabble on my clothes. LOL I walked away with raspberry stains all over me.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yikes! Raspberry stains! I hope those weren't white pants!

My chickens tend to leap onto my back when I'm bent over the feed barrel. They seem to feel leaping on my back, and then to my head, gets the feed to them faster. :rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: Are you kidding? Who wears white pants on this forum? :gig

Yes, those chickens can be intimidating when they think food is headed their way. Mine think any item in the hands is potential food and a good jump and snatch is necessitated.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Somehow, a few of the worst things don't happen at my place, so I have a few more pros of free ranging on my side. :)

smearing their poo over whatever it is you might be wanting to use.
My chickens can't get to my front yard, except for the stray black star on a rare occasion(they are persistent escapees)....and the dogs eat all chicken poop where I commonly walk or sit. This is the benefit of having free range dogs also! :p

Chickens demand to know everything you are doing
As the dogs, cats and sheep all crowd around to supervise any activity, the chickens have learned to stay away or get trampled! :lol:

Chickens have predators
Again, the dogs save me on this score....not lost any to a predator except a few chicks to a black snake once.

Feeding the dogs when the chickens go to roost is the only sure fire way of knowing the dogs got to eat any of it!
I feed the dogs once a day and they eat it then and there....any chicken who would dare get near is sent screaming by a lunge and snap. This is the only time the dogs are allowed to show any aggression towards chickens....it's a "no chick zone" near the hungry dogs! :lol:

Hidden Nests.Broodies without permits
I live away from any wooded areas and so my chickens can only hide eggs/nests in a few areas. I have gotten a little smarter and am now letting them go ahead and hide them in the nests that are out of dog reach. Now I just include these nests in my gathering each evening. Saves me sooooo much worry and fuss if they think they are getting away with nesting outside! :D

If they lay in dog reach, I consider this extra nutrition for the hard working LGDs and one of the perks of the job! :)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Somehow, a few of the worst things don't happen at my place, so I have a few more pros of free ranging on my side. :)
Alrighty, Miss Smarty Pants :p

You do realize I was mostly just having fun with this, right? ;)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
:yuckyuck
for all of the above. :lol:
Yeah who here wold wear white pants in the yard especially. We also only let the chickens fre range in the winter months, after we've had enough tomatoes ;).

They have a nasty habit of pecking the tomato just as it is turning ripe. Then you have all these beautiful tomatoes with one peck hole in them :barnie

They also love to dig up anything you have just planted.

They will fight you for whatever is under your hands, it might be an extra special goody! even though you are just pulling weeds.

Some will jump on your lap as you're sitting with friends.

Some may jump onto your back, when they are frightened.

They will play jumping, flying games like children let out of school for recess.

I love letting my chickens free range. :weee