The Down Side of Free Ranging Chicken

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I must tell you about the BBS Orps I got from Becca.....

THEY ARE PURE EVIL!!!!!!!!!

They are also the most impatient when it comes to feeding. I've only just recently allowed them access to the yard, as I kept them cooped for a couple weeks to be sure they knew where "home" was.

Those little ingrates bite and peck me while I'm trying to fill their feeders!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure if they are impatient, or if they think I'm a tasty treat? But lemme tell ya, it hurts! They are especially fond of my toes!!!

*note to self, stop wearing flip flops!*

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Thank goodness goats can't fly because they have 1), 2) and 3) nailed down. :lol:

Oh I forgot- they have 7) down to an art too- baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL
these are funny
for me, all caged in large run pens. no free range here and all poop contained. all predator problems contained. All eggs contained.

I like it this way best for me..LOL

(did I hear someone say white pants? yikes anything white is not allowed in the garden or by animals.--haha)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Does anyone here own white pants?

My poor birds only get to free range on the weekends now and only if I am available to watch them closely. Neighbors dogs have put a stop to that.

And poor DH. He thinks he owns a tractor until the chickens are around. Its the first place they run to and they make sure to mark the seat. LOL

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
2dream said:
Does anyone here own white pants?

My poor birds only get to free range on the weekends now and only if I am available to watch them closely. Neighbors dogs have put a stop to that.

And poor DH. He thinks he owns a tractor until the chickens are around. Its the first place they run to and they make sure to mark the seat. LOL
I think the question of "Does anyone here own white pants?" should be on another thread :lol:

I was dressed to go have coffee with friends and went outside to say goodbye to SO. Sure enough the dog came running up to me and jumped on my white blouse with her muddy paws. Those stains still have not come out. It is now another backyard blouse :rolleyes: :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
How about those four hens who have decided that the goat's hay rack is a perfect roost....and what is under roosts???? POOP! Do goats eat poopy hay? NO! So who has to hand carry each hen back to the coop each night? ME!
:barnie

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Was this one already said:

You give an inch and they take a mile! (Ducks too.) I started letting them out @ 3:00, but once they tasted freedom, the loud bawking and quacking began at the break of dawn and OH the pacing along the run's fence line until 3:00. Then the guilt I felt when they bursted past me to get to the big yard.

This is why I finally gave in to their cries of abuse and turned em a loose!! I had to just trust in that wiley St. bernard (turned LGD) b/c the complaining just got to me! It was like Chinese Water Torture! :barnie

ETA: I hate when I misspell words that I know how to spell!!! :barnie

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:

They are also the most impatient when it comes to feeding. I've only just recently allowed them access to the yard, as I kept them cooped for a couple weeks to be sure they knew where "home" was.

Those little ingrates bite and peck me while I'm trying to fill their feeders!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure if they are impatient, or if they think I'm a tasty treat? But lemme tell ya, it hurts! They are especially fond of my toes!!!

Oh dear! :gig

Their siblings still run from me when I go into the pen. ;)

Have they ever learned roosting? None of the chicks in the hoop house like to roost. :rolleyes:

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
LOL-LOL
these are funny
for me, all caged in large run pens. no free range here and all poop contained. all predator problems contained. All eggs contained.

I like it this way best for me..LOL

(did I hear someone say white pants? yikes anything white is not allowed in the garden or by animals.--haha)
I'm with you there, FC.

I could free range, but they'd be mainly on my neighbor's vacant land. But I would only free range if I could feel I could trust my dogs with them and if I was home to help watch for predators.

I sell my eggs, so I want to know I can find all the eggs they lay. And I don't need any broodies raising more mutts. :rolleyes:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Quail_Antwerp said:

Oh dear! :gig

Their siblings still run from me when I go into the pen. ;)

Have they ever learned roosting? None of the chicks in the hoop house like to roost. :rolleyes:
Nope, I'm still putting them on the roost at night. Silly things! :lol:

Yea, they are pretty, uh, friendly? :gig And among the easiest to catch!