The Freeze-Drying Thread

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know exactly, but I've not seen any large increase in our usage even when I have it going almost constantly.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, I never got around to taking pictures this weekend, but I'm going to start this thread anyway.

The first thing I'll do is describe how freeze-drying works. The food gets taken down to a super cold environment in a vacuum. Then the chamber warms up a bit. Since water cannot be liquid in a vacuum, it sublimates into a gas and leaves the food. When the sensors read that nearly all the water has left the food, it goes into a final drying period and then voila! you have a freeze-dried product.

For anyone interested in getting a freeze-dryer, I have to tell you there's a fair amount of maintenance that goes with it. The oil in the vacuum pump needs to be changed regularly since water vapor and food bits end up getting into the pump. Occasionally it needs to be power-flushed, and I read that you also occasionally have to take it apart and clean off some part that can get gunky even with all the oil changing and such. So if you want something you just run and then forget about it, maybe a freeze-dryer is not for you.

It can only handle about 10 lbs of food at a time, and depending on what it is and what the ambient temperature is, it can take anywhere from 24 to 48 hours to freeze dry things. You cannot freeze-dry high fat things like butter (you just end up with butter all over the inside of your freeze-dryer) or high sugar, like jam (the sugar binds with the water so it doesn't go away).

BUT... it's the best form of preservation there is currently, for preserving the nutrition of your food. The texture is basically the same as previously frozen. And when it's been properly protected from light and air, freeze-dried food should last 20 years or more. It weighs next to nothing compared to fresh food; and if you store it in mylar or sealed plastic bags, you don't have to worry about a big mess if there's an earthquake.

Currently I have a load of golden plums in there. I'll take pictures and give you a review on their taste and texture tomorrow.
I can always try that, Research has shown that although frozen fruit and vegetables contain slightly lower levels of some vitamins, they are high in antioxidants and fiber. fMost researchers believe that the amount of nutrients lost from freeze-drying is small. But it is worth saving or future use.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Freeze drying also protects probiotics I learned. Fermented foods can be freeze dried, and when rehydrated the probiotic community is still alive and kicking. For taste, it's better to rehydrate them in some brine of the same salt-to-water ratio as they were originally fermented in, but it's not necessary for the bacteria.
For the same reason though, if you freeze-dry raw meats, be careful to make sure they are absolutely dry, and cook them quickly, as spoilage can happen quickly. I would suggest raw meats should be rehydrated in the refrigerator too.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is why I Freeze Dry, Can, and Dehydrated
1589134097050.png

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Knock knock..... anybody there?

I've been freeze drying for a bit less than a year. Not constantly. Still much to learn. Was kind of hoping to find fellow freeze-dryers here. Though, there is a freeze-drying group I do frequent - it's always good to learn more

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Knock knock..... anybody there?

I've been freeze drying for a bit less than a year. Not constantly. Still much to learn. Was kind of hoping to find fellow freeze-dryers here. Though, there is a freeze-drying group I do frequent - it's always good to learn more
Might be able to talk me into it. A few years ago it DH and I backed out of buying a freeze dryer. But now freeze dried dog treats are a big thing and I don't want to admit how much I spend on them. I save them for special situations to try to keep the cost low(ish).

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Might be able to talk me into it. A few years ago it DH and I backed out of buying a freeze dryer. But now freeze dried dog treats are a big thing and I don't want to admit how much I spend on them. I save them for special situations to try to keep the cost low(ish).

Well... for sure, they'd do dog treats for you. But, unless you use it for a lot more ~ those would be some pretty "spendy" treats! 😉

On the other hand ~ yesterday, I included peas and corn in my freeze dryer load, just to make sure our Parrot always had access to them, if we should be unable to get them at the store. Of course ~ we grow peas in the summer. NONE of which I actually get. DH pampers her like she's wearing a crown! ...Little Miss Sassy Pants

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/@live.life.simple.

I'm not sure why it's not linking to the recipe. If you query live.life.simple on YouTube, there are great videos. I was trying to share this man's recipe for freeze dried zucchini crackers. So yummy! I will make these every year at zucchini harvest time 😋

Last edited:

Latest posts