The government approves this?

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My son just got his latest Ranger Rick magazine. And I was bored, so I skimmed through it. It had an article on different bugs people eat around the world :sick

But one of the things it said :somad was that we eat bugs all the time without knowing it, because it's nearly impossible to keep bugs out of peanut butter and pepper (and it listed one other thing) so that the government has set standards of approved levels of bugs in our food! Yeah, I know, it's just protein, but it's the principle of the thing.

Especially when I can't buy milk straight from a cow :rant

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Well yeh.

Free protein.

Chocolate has one of the biggest allowances of bugs per ounce, btw. This has never stopped me. LOL.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Bugs are part of the food process. Unless you are growing in a lab, you are going to get bug parts.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My point wasn't the bugs, it's that bugs are allowed but real milk is not.

And Abi - I think chocolate was the 3rd thing it listed.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've read that bleached flour is bleached to cover the big bits. Maybe urban legend.

But I do know that diatomaceous earth is mixed into stored grains for bug killing/repellent. I'm sure there is some left after milling.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
My point wasn't the bugs, it's that bugs are allowed but real milk is not.
*laughing* Bugs can't make you sick. That's why.

Oh WAIT!!! Real milk is safer than the fake stuff. Drat. I knew that hypothesis was lame ;)

Because the bugs are fresher in raw milk. The bugs are COOKED in store milk. I bet that is why. *nod nod*

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Brussels Sprouts have one, if not THE highest bug parts and bug fecal matter ratios in the vegetable group. Years ago I had just started getting my kids to eat them when the found this out. I still love eating them though.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I read that the average person swallows at least 3 spiders a year in their sleep. The spiders crawl into open mouths and gulp! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
of course bugs are allowed, they MUST be....a certain percentage.

how else could one process grains etc?

ain't happening...lol

has nothing to do with milk or regs on milk

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As a former food scientist, its natural to have bugs (and yeasts and molds) in our food supply. Each product, raw, cooked, dried, natural or processed, has its minimum allowed amounts.

It always gets me laughing when someone finds a bug in their salad and gets furious. Come on folks - salad grows out in the fields. Washing, double washing, etc can only remove the larger percentage of those bugs. Sheesh...

Latest posts