The Homesteader's Way of Feeding Chickens

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband has some buckwheat seed? Haven't seen that mentioned on here. Is it not good for them?

Edited cause I can't spell.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think any grain is good for them to sprout and feed.

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay, I googled fermented grains, and it was quite interesting, found out a lot I never knew, going to research this further.
What I found out nutritionally, it does not change the nutrient content of the grain, but there is a substance in the grain that inhibits nutrient absorbtion by both animal and humans alike, the soaking/fermenting of the grains including flours for human consumption, neutralizes this substance making the nutrients digestable.
This was done extensively by almost all cultures in the past, just in our recent immediate type lifestyle this has changed, along w/ a huge surge in digestion problems.
In addition to the already mentioned fermenting starters you can also use buttermilk, or cidar vinegar, the point is to increase the acid level to neutralize the substance (sorry can't remember it's name).

It was also mentioned, those who have trouble digesting some grains have found they can digest them after fermenting. I have been gluten free for years so found this extremely interesting.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The substance being neutralized is phytates...germination inhibitors. Not only are grains more digestible, they no longer actually BLOCK some nutrients from being absorbed nor do they do actual damage to the intestines. I, too, found this so fascinating when I started learning about it. You'd probably enjoy Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. Did you end up on www.westonapricefoundation.org in your research?

The slight sprouting does increase nutrients, though, and happens faster with a ferment first! Since germination inhibitors are no longer an issue.

There are many threads on this forum on this subject....volumes have been written! :p

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh Free, I was just going to mention to Kassandra to look up some of the posts about fermenting. You beat me to it.

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No I did not, but I will now. It was just a quick search before cooking supper. So you can ferment then sprout?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That first 24 hour soak counts as a ferment. I always rinse after that first soak to get rid of any lingering phytates. I always long-soak my beans, too, with something acidic, usually kefir or whey. It is very good for any animal that eats grain, too, and the chickens prefer it.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can also sprout, then ferment - and may end up doing so by accident if you forget about them! :)

One thing I read is that nutrient content CAN be increased by fermentation because of the bacteria - some will produce certain kinds of nutrients during the fermentation process. I haven't studied it enough to know if that is true or not, but I do know that my chicks who had protein deficiency snapped out of it after starting the fermented grains.

Buckwheat grain is good for poultry, so it should be a really good sprout.

You can even sprout grain that is pretty old. Soaking it makes a bigger difference with old seeds, and germination may take much longer. We have a bucket of alfalfa seeds that is really old - like 15 years, which had not been stored properly through most of that time (was given to me by someone else). The last batch of that stuff that we sprouted had some seeds sprouting at the normal time, some sprouting a full seven days later. About 3/4 of it did sprout though.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My sheep and chickens prefer fermented pumpkins to regular ones anyday! I expect it has a sweeter flavor once the fermentation starts? Whatever it is, it's like crack cocaine to my sheep! :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My older chickens liked pumpkin better than the young ones do. But they are coming around......