the hovel i want to call home

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
what also might look good is that front porch to be glassed where the screen was and all the wood on the porch stained and the now front door and the window next to it removed to make a huge entrance from a sun porch to the main room and the entrance door be placed next to the concrete stairs now that would be gorgeous

and the wood in the attic is awesome just rip out all the ceiling in the fireplace room and remove all the nails and nasty stuff sand the rafters down and the actual roof up there and stain it and just leave it exposed

that bathroom looks big enough to squeeze another 1/2 bath out of it

i imagine that house pale sun yellow with white trim or real light soft blue with eggshell trim so so cute and so so cottage like
Leaving the attic/roof beams exposed wont be an option where she lives. That will HAVE to be insulated if you'd want to live there in the winter.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
what also might look good is that front porch to be glassed where the screen was and all the wood on the porch stained and the now front door and the window next to it removed to make a huge entrance from a sun porch to the main room and the entrance door be placed next to the concrete stairs now that would be gorgeous

and the wood in the attic is awesome just rip out all the ceiling in the fireplace room and remove all the nails and nasty stuff sand the rafters down and the actual roof up there and stain it and just leave it exposed.
i would love to turn the porch into a sunroom/entryway but i think that would probably cost more than i would want to put into it.

leaving the beams exposed was my immediate instinct. they are so pretty. but, like SKR8PN said, it would HAVE to be insulated. so, if the room has to be replaced, we could insulate on the outside of the ceiling and then put the new roof on. but, if we didn't put a new roof on, we'd have to insulate and end up covering the beams.

if i can leave them exposed, i'd probably put a loft in over the kitchen/bedroom area that was accessible from the front room! it wouldn't have much clearance, but it would be the ULTIMATE reading spot for me!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
There is a house by me with jalousie windows on the porch. They are very nice allowing the air through in the summer while deflecting the rain away and also since you can roll them closed they make a porch much more useful during colder weather as well.

Also see if there is a Freecycle group near you. Just Google it. Lots of good supplies can be had for free!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Jalousie windows are a pita. HORRIBLE to try to clean! My wife is still cussing the old jalousie's that used to be on our back porch, and we took them out 10 years ago! :gig

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If they are on a house they are awful to clean I will agree. They never shut truly tight either so you need a storm window inside to keep things warmer. I would definitely NOT want them for on a main house, but ... on a porch they are just grand!

We have them on our lake cabin. We clean ours with a hose and a johnny mop dunked into a bucket of dish soapy water. We just remove the screens, and spray them down inside and out, then open them up and swish with the johnny mop then just spray again.

On a porch you can spray them down inside and out and just let the water drain away, because most porches are designed to drain water away.

I really like the way you can control the air flow with them and can keep them open while it is raining.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Jalousie windows are a pita. HORRIBLE to try to clean! My wife is still cussing the old jalousie's that used to be on our back porch, and we took them out 10 years ago! :gig
Also easy for thieves to remove and gain access.

I still liked them quite a bit though, living in a mild climate. But yes, a pain to clean too.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Again on a porch not a problem. Unless you keep valuables on your porch.

Basically a piece of glass between you and a thief will NEVER keep them out - no matter the window style.

People break in windows, doors and since most newer vinyl clad homes have walls of foam panels and sheet rock with sometimes a piece of chipboard thrown in you can even get in a house by kicking a hole in the outside wall!

Locks and sturdy doors only slow them down a bit, sadly.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Guess that's why I have a big dog now. ;)

I guess I commented on it because that's how a house I lived in got broken into one time. Sadly, you are right. Nothing will stop them if they are determined. Not even the big dog.

It's not pertinent to the thread though, you are right, and I don't want to detract from it either. As I said, I love jalousie windows in mild weather. :). It's even fun to say. "Jalousie". Even if my spell check insists I must have meant "halogens". ;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
My dad used to say that a lock only keeps the honest man out, and he was right. He had a shed with NO DOOR that he used to keep his riding mower in. All he did was slide a piece of plywood in front of the mower, to help shield it from the weather and prying eyes. Sometimes the best lock is nothing but a bit of deception.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That would be a great house! Some people would see that as a money pit or an eye sore,..Im with you,..I see a what a wonderful home it could be! If it is structurally sound it will be well worth it. You cannot get craftmanship like the older homes,...As far as money,...the amount you stated should be enough. We built out home from ground up for just a little more than that. Assuming your not paying out the nose for hired help,..it can be done! Hope it works out for you! :fl