the hovel i want to call home

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Lift up the furnace grates and you can check near the walls where the flooring does not cover them.

Did you go in the basement?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Lift up the furnace grates and you can check near the walls where the flooring does not cover them.

Did you go in the basement?
it doesn't have a basement, just a crawl space. there is no way i'm getting under there. i'll just wait for my brother to irritate me and make him do it!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
grandads said:
I want the big house beautiful!
isn't it beautiful! i love it. i would move in there in a heartbeat but it's right next to the road and the big barn that we run our horse school out of so it stays pretty busy. and it's WAY too much house for me. my grandparents are renovating it (well, footing the bill while we do the work) to have as a guest house and a place for my uncles and their families who don't live on the farm to stay weekends and summers.

my great-great-grandparents raised 17 kids out of that house. they lived in it with the 4 girls and the 13 boys lived in a big bunkhouse that was next to it. the bunkhouse was demolished long before i was born, but we're all determined to save the house.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I'd tackle that project in a heartbeat!! Foundations and termite damage can be repaired if need be, it only takes a little more time and money.

I like the fact that the property appears to be very private and LARGE!! You can get a lot of work done and not draw any attention to yourself. ;)

One bit of advice though...........if you do tackle this, try to get a camper or something set up back there so you, friends and family can keep an eye on the place while your remodeling. No way would I start a project like that and leave it exposed to idiots.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN's right. Nothing those vandals would like more than to find copper wire and plumbing supplies unguarded. I could come live there in a camper for you.....

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I wish you all the best with it. I would say as long as it is structurally sound then go for it. Just be ready for surprises.

If you have the storage space. Start haunting craigslist for all the materials NOW. Also check Habitat restore, Community Forklift, and local churches. My father in law's church got a donation of 40 or 50 large cabinet doors from Ikea. We used 3 of them as paneling to build a closet and use another as a basement door. I've also had good luck raiding job site dumpsters. Finding 10ft 2 x 10's that weren't good enough for the purpose they intended (probaby something very supportive) but were great for sandboxes and garden beds. We also used many many pieces of salvaged 2x4s to do things like build closets and non-structural walls.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I can see you curled up in a chair reading a book on the front porch already! What fun!