The Iodine Thread

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Amos, please don't confuse oral intake of iodine with the iodine purchased at your local pharmacy. Betadine is not the same as Lugol's iodine, nor is the work that they can do the same. There's a pretty big learning curve to understand it but I will put all the info I have up here as time goes by.
Lugols has been used for animal healthcare for a very long long time and maybe I can find more info on that as time goes by.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They have found a simular thing over here regarding iodine and it used to be added to milk until about the 1970's then it was stopped. they are finding that babies are starting to have problems from lack of it and we seem to have an awful lot of woman over here with thyroid problems too so possibly it's a factor in that.

They have reintroduced it to salt and I ensure the kids get some of that often enough to hopefully stop any problems.

I don't think I will ever have issues with Vit D, I have really dark skin and get out in the sun a lot, I always seem to forget to put the lotion on my arms! I think we have massice skin cancer issues here more than Vit D problems.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Would it not just be simpler to eat foods high in iodine such as seafood, sea veggies, boiled eggs, yogurt, etc. Wouldn't this
serve the purpose of getting iodine into the system naturally plus avoid the expense of buying a pill?

Not trying to be controversial at all with that question. Just curious?

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do eggs and yogurt have iodine oin them in the amounts we would need?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Lovechooks said:
Do eggs and yogurt have iodine oin them in the amounts we would need?
I am not sure. That is why I posed that question? It appears with what little research I did on this that boiled eggs, yogurt and sea kelp and sea food (depending upon where it came from) contain iodine.

I lean towards a well balanced diet in most cases and prefer not to spend money on proposed supplements without a lot of reasearch. This is an area I have just never considered.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's always better to get what you need from whole food sources, but if you're deficient, then supplementation is the way to go. I'm extremely interested in this thread, having a whacky thyroid I believe is acting up again. I'm going to the doctor's for a physical, and he'll do a full thyroid panel on me, if it's off at all, then I'll be looking into the iodine connection.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Great. I do think it is one of the most important supplements that anyone can take. I would start with these videos. Go to this page and click on the Brownstein videos. You can download realplayer for free if you need it.

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/videos/

The risk is greatly overblown, in fact I would say it might be deliberate lies promoted by the pharmaceutical industry to keep you away from it. Now, just how much money would they loose if everyone took iodine, just from the sale of synthroid alone, never mind the billions in the cancer industry!
I made time to watch the first video in this series. Very interesting. I never knew.

Thanks for the link - I wil try to watch the rest when I have time.

(I always learn something new here)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Soy in any form can really throw the thyroid out of wack....er.....whack? It is in so many products today, most breads and grain products have it to boost the protein content on the label. It takes very little to suppress your thyroid. It takes several months off soy to regain balance, if the damage is reversable.

I don't know much about iodine, just that it was one of the many tests I took in my search for health and return to a fully active life. My levels were rather low, but at that time, I was very far in my journey to proper nutrition. I did not have access to truly free-range-produced eggs, raw grass-fed milk, and did not understand that all sea salt is not equal. So supplements were in order. The test gave me an exact amount to supplement with, in mcg's.

It would be interesting to be re-tested with my current lifestyle. I'd rather spend the money on a buckling, though! :D

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know soy threw my thyroid for a loop, I avoid it now at all costs. Except tempeh, that's ok.

Latest posts