The Iodine Thread

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Where does kelp and kelp capsules fit into this iodine discussion?
My ND has me adding kelp to my anti-estrogenic smoothie.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I know soy threw my thyroid for a loop, I avoid it now at all costs. Except tempeh, that's ok.
Small amounts of traditionally prepared miso and tamari can be used, too, must be fermented at least 3-6 months. South River Miso has some wonderful misos (misi? :p) that are fermented for 1 and 3 years. They don't ship in the summer, though, since the heat will kill the good bacteria. I think they ship again in September or so.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Oooh, can you share this smoothie recipe? Is it meant for women of a certain age who suffer with personal sauna vacations frequently throughout the day?? :ep :th

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
sylvie said:
Oooh, can you share this smoothie recipe? Is it meant for women of a certain age who suffer with personal sauna vacations frequently throughout the day?? :ep :th
Sure-it's in the recipe section now.
I hope you find it useful.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
reinbeau said:
I know soy threw my thyroid for a loop, I avoid it now at all costs. Except tempeh, that's ok.
Small amounts of traditionally prepared miso and tamari can be used, too, must be fermented at least 3-6 months. South River Miso has some wonderful misos (misi? :p) that are fermented for 1 and 3 years. They don't ship in the summer, though, since the heat will kill the good bacteria. I think they ship again in September or so.
I'd like to add my vote for the South River Miso - that stuff is delicious!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I will have to look for it at Good Health!
Reinbau, I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it is only sold through the South River Co., and, as freemotion has mentioned, they don't ship in the summer. Its not cheap, but really good things seldom are. The website also has a recipe section for when one wants something more than miso soup.

http://www.southrivermiso.com/

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey there!

I haven't been logging in for a while, and I finallly read through this thread. I recently had a surgical breast biopsy....I spoke with my surgeon about the fact that I had a total thyroidectomy a number of years ago, and was born and raised in the "low thyroid" belt of the US.
I asked her about taking the iodine to reduce lumpy breast tissue, and she was enthused...

It will be interesting to see what happens to my mammograms in the future, as we will have our own little "study" going on.

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
so, I did not know that soy can throw the thyroid for a loop. 2 of my children drink soy milk due to milk allergies. We have considered getting a goat to milk, but we are not ready for that just yet. I wonder if I can find a local source for goats milk (shouldn't be too hard, it is very rural here) if that would benefit them. There is allot of soy in our diets at the moment. hmmmm :barnie