the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
internet was really out for a few days. last Friday was at least getting ahold of a person and getting responses. good day Saturday and Saturday night, but Sunday morning was going along well and then it was like all at once someone threw a switch and it was back to bad. so then Monday it became the idea that the antenna/dish for the internet had to get moved back to the roof. so that was where we left things and needing to set up an appt with a technician to get back here and do that. not sure when this was going to happen but i expected it to be next week or even longer but i got a call this morning that they had some slots open up today and so i said sure ASAP is fine and it worked out and they ended up not moving the dish/antenna from where it was but they put in a bigger one and put a longer pole there so it is up a bit more. hopefully this takes care of the issue... at least it does work now. :)

i don't like to think i'm addicted to something, but i don't watch tv or listen to the radio much any more for entertainment and i have people i want to keep in touch with via e-mail and other means (garden forums and this one :) ), etc. so when i was faced with days of not getting much done on-line at least i did have the project here to keep me busy and that was really good to have, but it also made me think that in some ways i may rethink a few things too. so we'll see what comes of that. ...

in the meantime, life goes on and the birdies are coming back. Robins, Grackles, Killdeer all landed in the last four days. curious about the lack of the Redwinged Blackbirds which normally show up with the Grackles. perhaps they took a side-trip this season? ...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad it got fixed!

me too! i have some important events coming up that have to be looked into and on-line is where it all happens now so i'll need a reliable connection - things going ok today so that is a relief. :)

we get to see the lawyer/CPA this week to get the stuff for Mom changed and get my will done.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
continuing to make progress on the project and for grins today i ran through it all the files i have for one account to see what it would barf about.

a few accounts not defined, easily remedied, a few minor errors that are now fixed and some debugging i need to do with some transactions to make sure all the numbers are right, but all transactions balance and there are no unrecognized transactions and no errors being reported.

so that's ok. not bad for over 30years of files (about 2300 transactions) with the first half being entered by hand. i've only checked the files up until when the more recent web site versions kick in and i no longer had to type them in by hand, but i do have to check them for consistency and accuracy and to get the merged company stuff sorted out because they didn't always put their transfers in and out in those files so i have to go in and edit some in myself so it all makes more sense and i don't end up with strange fragments of accounts laying around with balances that shouldn't really be there...

all of this done just in time before they merge yet another time with another company.

way more fun than a mere mortal should be allowed to have... ok, perhaps i have a strange idea of fun... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have to admit i don't know much about accounting, but i am having fun learning something new. today's goals were to figure out the way to adjust some numbers when a company spins off another.

i think i have most of the odds and ends done now. i left the above issue for last because it has only happened twice so far and so those two transactions were left hanging. it's ok, i knew they were there. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds complicated, lol!

the complication is me. i'm trying to do a lot and i think i'm making it more complicated than it needs to be. :) but it's ok... :)

otherwise, it is just basic math. add, subtract, etc. just putting things in different buckets to keep track of meanings.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i know things are getting closer to gardening season when i start daydreaming of weeding and projects and try to make plans for the next long enough break in the weather to get outside. i have some chicken bones in the fridge to bury and some other scraps along with those that i won't want to put in the worm buckets, so those are slated for "soon" ... whenever that might be. :)

if the weather looks to be cooperating enough i'll see in a few weeks if i can poke some peas someplace and the first trial planting of sacrificial Purple Dove beans. because i don't know if they'll survive or not. but so far the past few years i've managed to get early plantings of them to survive.

today i finished up a project i've been working on for the past few months. there is still more work to be done, but this was the first part i really wanted to get done. data entry in some parts as i had to go back to old paper statements to type in the transactions. i've wanted to do this for a long time so i'm glad to have it done (1991 isn't that long ago), but i'm now up to date. company mergers are the messy times... ugh...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
water wandering from yesterday's heavy rains...

the berm is doing what it is supposed to be doing. the water is nice and clear coming off the south field this spring (they didn't plow it last fall - i don't know if anyone is farming it this season).

DSC_20230405_111119-0400_1880_Berm_thm.jpg

and the River Nile is flowing and not eroding as much as it could have. i did some work last summer down there to try to keep the headcutting from getting worse. i hope i can finally get this taken care of this year so it won't erode even more.

DSC_20230405_111337-0400_1890_River_Nile_thm.jpg

more context at:

Latest posts