the little wild kingdom

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
water wandering from yesterday's heavy rains...

the berm is doing what it is supposed to be doing. the water is nice and clear coming off the south field this spring (they didn't plow it last fall - i don't know if anyone is farming it this season).

DSC_20230405_111119-0400_1880_Berm_thm.jpg

and the River Nile is flowing and not eroding as much as it could have. i did some work last summer down there to try to keep the headcutting from getting worse. i hope i can finally get this taken care of this year so it won't erode even more.

DSC_20230405_111337-0400_1890_River_Nile_thm.jpg

more context at:

I had to read your blog post. Interesting!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i had to play deer herder this morning with two small deer feeding in the back yard. i didn't want to startle them into running into the fences so i went out quietly off to the side with a walking stick and then got their attention and then i encouraged them to move along. it took a few minutes but they finally got the idea and went the right way.

i was out yesterday walking the yard with a friend and there's one spot where the deer almost made it into the fenced gardens, so i have to repair that fence. i've not looked at the rest of them yet. probably a few places they've been tested or trampled a bit.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did get the outside windows washed yesterday and then took a break for a bit and then got roped into helping Mom with her chicken wire fencing project (trying to protect trees from deer). she had pounded the posts in and was having a hard time getting the wire unrolled and on the poles so i went out and helped her put up some of that, but we ran out of time so there's a bit left to be done today. hopefully not as windy today but the forecast is for 82F and breezy, just not as breezy. tomorrow forecast is for 80F and then we get cooler and chances of rain this weekend and back to more seasonable weather next week.

i have a long todo list and i'm sure i'm not going to get all of them done this spring... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hope the wire helps protect the trees!!

as far as i'm concerned it's a lost cause and better to just let them eat what they want. i can't fence the perimeter trees because they planted them too close to the lot line. some of the other trees i can eventually protect by getting more fences up but the perimeter trees are in the way so... ugh...

looks like the weather is going to cooperate for the next few days so i should be able to get some more things done. just have to decide what i want to do.

i have the left-over projects from last fall i can get done first which would be really nice and i can use up the old tubes of caulk i have laying around that i bought for this purpose to begin with. no idea how many of them might still be good. the problem with this though is that i'm likely to find yet more stuff to do once i get back up the ladder...

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
added more pictures to the daffodil page and also some other pictures to other pages. on the daffodil page Sparky is my favorite:

DSC_20210417_112350-0400_869_Sparky_thm.jpg

this garden has worked out pretty well from the start (12 springs later it still seems to be doing mostly ok):

DSC_20230415_142411-0400_1906_Hello_World_thm.jpg

DSC_20230415_142520-0400_1908_Bee_Mine_thm.jpg

and then the North Garden with the daffodils around the edges (many which still need to be thinned or removed)

DSC_20230415_143044-0400_1913_Sprung_thm.jpg