the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yay for more progress. :) long garden along the pathway is now as done as i care to get it for now. may have to go do some more sod busting along the grassy edge next spring or late fall if i can get to it but mainly i'm just glad to have the garden debris buried and some ashes scattered and partly dug in. i also did go after some of the quackgrass roots along the grassy edge but i'm sure i didn't get them all.

not sure what i might get done tomorrow or not. the weather is going to be really nice but i'm scheduled for an appt so i may not get outside. we'll see how that goes...

rest of the week is looking like chances of more rains. maybe i get all the beans shelled. either way it's just how it goes. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rains and more rains. warm day today forecast to get up to 72F with slight chances of rain and there's a lot of puddles out there. my gardening shoes would need mud flaps. *squish*

i've been shelling some beans and plenty more to go. i saved the easiest pods for last. :) it's like vacation within vacation.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
brr! cold this morning and chances of snow this afternoon and evening.

i washed my glasses and dried them off and put them back on and they were still warm. if they can have heated steering wheels i can have heated glasses - at least for a few moments. :)

today i'll be back to doing some bean shelling as i have the last bag to do but i won't finish them all simply because i do not want to sit that much today - tomorrow will be soon enough. then i have the next part which is sorting/quality control checking for ones that go to the worms for their food - that will take a few weeks.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
snow all melted soon after it arrived. this morning greeted by a heavy frost and sunshine so the light breeze is making things sparkle as the frost burns off. watching birdies... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
finished up shelling beans this morning. done for this season. now on to a few intermediate projects before i return to stage two of the bean harvest which is sorting and going through and making sure each bean is ok before i put them into the glass jars for storage. can't have any moldy beans in there and also pick out or clean up any bits of pod still attached or whatever else should be fed to the worms instead being cooked and fed to us.

i had zero gumption as i woke up early and so i crawled back into bed for a nap and woke up and have been watching stand up comedy most of the afternoon. :) sometimes a day off is good even if you're already retired... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

i read a few books in recent days which was a nice change of pace too. one was _Tales From the Ant World_ by Edward Wilson. a much easier read than _The Ants_ which he wrote along with Holldobler (and won the Pullitzer). i'll probably reread it before i take it back to the library. i also read a book called _Whalefall_ by Daniel Kraus which was not at all what i expected but that was what i get for not reading the liner notes... hehe... :) something different for sure.