the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
neighbor came over and we talked about what they're planning on doing to the south field a bit and then we walked some of our property and we talked over some issues and then he flew his drone and took some pictures, which i've not seen yet, but i think they turned out ok.

it was a very nice drone. it had built in GPS and stableizer stuff so as long as the breeze was less than 30 mph it would stay in position until it was changed. it also knew where it took off and would return and land exactly there if he told it to do that. i thought it was a lot more quiet than i expected. when it was up 50 ft or more i could barely hear it and 100 ft up it might not have even been there. it was so small it was not even easy to see.

it will be interesting to see the pictures and i'm sure i'll put some up on the website if they work out ok. i think they will.... hope they will... :) first time trying this so don't know until it happens.

also good to give him some more practice because he's going for the more complicated license which will let him do commercial stuff. so i asked him to do a roof inspection of some spots i've not been able to get up to look at more closely in some time and so i hope to see those pictures and check out what's going on up there...

which meant i didn't quite get as much done today as i expected or hoped but it was great to have some fun and talk to someone different for a change. i mean in person... :)

i did get a part of two different gardens done inside the fence so they look much nicer but still a lot to do. nice day. could use two more weeks...

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rain through the night and some bits of snow and mostly rain today. it's back to being a muddy mess out there today. i need to get those gardens put up! maybe this coming week we'll get enough of a break in the weather i can get back out in the gardens again.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a pile of more rains last night, but now the forecast is for clear and no rains for the next week and moderate enough temperatures that i hope i can get some gardening done. i hope the forecast is accurate!

we did have some moments of snow clumps falling down but nothing enough to stick.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
garden club meeting went well with the three regulars all being there plus perhaps two other new people will join us now. :) good to see everyone and to meet new friends and to talk gardens and whatever else came up.

no gardening was accomplished today but i did a little bean sorting/cleaning during the garden club meeting.

tomorrow forecast is for 64F and no rain until the evening so i'm hoping i can knock off two more gardens tomorrow and that would leave me with only two other gardens (and very good that they are simpler gardens without complications) to put up plus scatter six buckets of ashes and get them somewhat turned in before winter. the forecast isn't looking great but perhaps it will work out anyways. we'll see. :) always a mystery this time of the year what can get done but i remain optimistic...

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
was able to give all the worm buckets their TG dinner today. all doing slow but ok from what i can tell. i'm used to seeing more worm action by this time so curious as to what has changed. over all though things are fine, and i'm happy that i saw no signs of fungus gnats at all and the little spiders were doing their job. only one house spider in there which i did evict as they do not belong in our house. along with the veggie scraps i also used a bag and a half of bean pods i've kept on hand precisely for this purpose. in a few weeks when i check the buckets again i'll add some more - the sooner i get them into the buckets the sooner the worms will get them recycled and ready for being taken out to the gardens where they were grown.

yesterday i went along one wall in the other room and hunted down all the spiders i could find. a lot of decorations and places for them to hide along there and i don't like the trend of having so many of these spider around in the house so i also evicted those. evicted is my polite way of saying i squished them in toilet paper and then when i had a pile i flushed them down the toilet. especially looked around for any egg sacs to make sure i was actually accomplishing something.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this is a small memorial post for one of my aunts who passed away yesterday after a battle with ovarian cancer, but she was in her 90s and doing great up to that point and even after they figured she was ready to go and on hospice she still managed to go another 6 months. a long trial for her and her family but she was not down or out and Mom could talk to her from time to time and Mom would make her bread and cookies and send them to her. in her life she barely had any sweets or treats at all as she was very health conscious. she had a hard time here or there like many of us do and she also had a good life and her children still were a big part of her life.

she was always a good person to talk to, full of life and adventures of different sorts but also a happy person. she drove a small convertable even later on, i'm not sure if she was still driving before her illness but it wasn't too many years ago that we saw her driving it so i'd say at least 5 years ago. i'll imagine her off on one of her jaunts with a saucy grin. :) RIP dear auntie.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss but it sounds like she lived a great life. Love the idea of her off on a jaunt in her convertible!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the Thursday, Friday and perhaps Saturday morning forecasts look good for finishing up gardens for winter along with getting some ashes scattered and turned in. we've had so many rains that it will take that long to dry out enough but i'm going to be optimistic and hope the forecast doesn't change.

today is a day of rest with perhaps a bout of cleaning of a desk and window sill that is showing way more spider webs than it should (it tires me out just thinking about it :) )... if i don't get to it today then there is always tomorrow...