the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
recent pictures:

onion sprouts from older seeds, i had no idea how many were going to grow, planted in two rows, the left row is from sweet large onions and the right row is from reddish onions and crosses that may have happened. we'll see how many survive this winter.

DSC_20201108_132443-0500_707_Onion_Sprouts_thm.jpg

what we did with the scrap wood from pallets that i was able to rescue. looks much nicer to cover up the black pastic.

DSC_20201108_132031-0500_703_Hardwood_Flooring_thm.jpg

this is all i could finish this summer for weeding this garden, but at least it is a start. i'm not sure how much more i'll get done this fall, but then there is always spring too for projects like this.

DSC_20201108_131928-0500_702_Half_Way_thm.jpg

it is so much easier to take care of this area now that they're combined and all those edges and pathways are out of the way.

DSC_20201108_132454-0500_708_Lebensraum_thm.jpg

moved more creeping thyme along the east edge of the north garden. will look nicer one it gets growing next summer, but gotta start somewhere.

DSC_20201108_131420-0500_696_More_Thyme_thm.jpg

the deer like the comfrey. had to get the black plastic edge put back in and down deeper so that water can flow over it. will be easier to take care of, plus we are going to try some bricks for the lawnmower to roll on along there instead of having Mom scrape that area. we'll see how it goes. the upper part way in the back still needs to be finished up but that can happen in the next few days or whenever.

DSC_20201108_131524-0500_698_Progress_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
these pictures were taken this morning less than four minutes apart:

DSC_20201112_084443-0500_722_Bird_Leaf_thm.jpg

DSC_20201112_084821-0500_723_Bird_Left_thm.jpg

if you can't sleep some night you can try to count the birdies... :)

i was really hoping they would stay until it was brighter, but no luck there, but they were around for about a half hour over in the field to the north where they'd harvested the corn a few days ago. so they were picking it over.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! Glad you pointed out that they were birds because I was wondering how all the leaves fell off the trees in less than 4 minutes!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! Glad you pointed out that they were birds because I was wondering how all the leaves fell off the trees in less than 4 minutes!

there is a group of poplar trees off to the right of that tree line that were also full of birdies but i could not get all of them in the same picture.

if you go to this page on the bottom you can find the links to more detailed pictures to click on:

don't mind the size of the second one being small, it's an error that i just noticed and corrected. :) next upload of the website will fix that oops.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What kind of birds are they? And yes - the Birds terrified me for years, lol!

i think they are grackles, heading your way for the winter. Mom absolutely hates them, they're a pretty bird to me, but they also make a lot of mess and Mom doesn't tolerate dirty birds... when they first built this place there were no trees around other than that far back tree line so we didn't have nesting birds around anyplace.

then as the trees grew taller we started picking up some robins and the other smaller birds and then a few years later we started having grackles nesting and we didn't do anything about them at first. then they started nesting up in the lighthouse and the cedar trees and in the pine trees and then they'd dump the poop from their nests in the birdbaths - which is when Mom declared war. or really, she declared war and then sent me to the front with a gun so i had to get rid of them and by then they were a flock of about 50 birds. since then i have to get after them each spring to keep them from taking over again. i don't enjoy it, but it is one thing i have to do. :(

Latest posts