The Nerd Confession Thread

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dirk Chesterfield said:
OK, I couldn't let this thread die.

My name is Dirk and I'm a total nerd.

I've owned 2 Commodore computers, and thought 300 baud was fast.
Was in the SCA for several years.
I enjoy Father Ted, Red Dwarf, Monty Python and Conan movies.
I watched all of the episodes of "Farscape" back to back stopping only to sleep. Took about 67 hours. It was a continuity thing.
Yep. Commodore 64 and one of the later models. But my first experience with computers was with a paper tape model in 7th grade.
I was also the only girl in my junior high and highschool to regularly hang out at the computer room, using the old-style phone-cradle modem for the timeshare system we connected with.
Yep, did SCA. And not only attended but have worked on annual Science Fiction Conventions since 1981. And worked at Renaissance Festivals - in a chainmail bikini.
Red Dwarf, Conan, Monty Python, check.
Taped and watched all of Babylon 5 and Firefly. Repeatedly.

Used to play D&D, a lot. Started the year it was invented - 1974.
D&D, Traveller, Car Wars, Napoleonics Empire III (with little tin soldiers and everything), Tekumel Empire of the Petal Throne (while pregnant -DD now has seniority in the group because she was there in fetal form).

My favorite book series are "The Chronicles of Amber", "Asimov's Foundation Series", "Frank Herbert's Dune Series" and "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Yep. Read ALL the Foundation series books, not just the trilogy. And of course, Hobbit, LoTR, Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales.
Kept my diary all through highschool in Tengwar (elvish script from LoTR)

Have 40k e-books and have had an e-book reader for nearly 10 years.
I still have a sword collection.
Robert Heinlein is my favorite author.
Had every version of the Kindle and the iPhone and 2 versions of Android.
And Heinlein is god.

I think Dr. Who is cool, especially William Hartnell and Tom Baker.
There are 100 pounds of Star Trek collectibles in my attic.
I own the original soundtrack to "Blade Runner"
Love Dr Who. Tom Baker was the best Doctor. He was also great in BlackAdder.
I owned the original Star Wars book of blueprints - before the first movie came out!
Also owned the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics.

"Glory Road" and "Roadmarks" are my favorite novels
Stargate SG1 was my favorite TV show for years.
Own all the "Planet of the Apes" movies.
Stranger in a Strange Land is my favorite novel.
Babylon 5 was my favorite TV show ever - still is.
Dr Horrible's SingAlong Blog was pretty awesome. And Big Bang Theory rocks.

I have a sewing machine and sew my own ultralight camping tarps and equipment.
I weave cloth for clothing and housewares.

DH and I read "the Zen of Python" at our wedding, because we get together over the Python programming language.

Yep yep.

My name is Anna and I'm a nerd and proud of it.

ETA: And for Valentines Day our first year together, DH named a star after me! With the Star Registry and everything!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never though of myself as a nerd, maybe more of a geek? But I guess it's just terminology. So glad to find I'm not alone on this forum!

Hubbie and I regularly do marathon DVD tv show and movie marathons. We have every Farscape episode, including the final movie The Peacekeper Wars. We have every Jane Austen movie that has come out since 1995's Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth (the true Mr. Darcy for all time). We have every episode of Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman.

I've seen every original Trek episode multiple times, and watched just about every episode of the later series on their original airdates (except for Enterprise, as we didn't have cable then) and have watched them all multiple times in reruns. We have several series worth of Red Dwarf and quote from it daily, along with daily quotes from Spaceballs (hubbie's fave cult movie--he pretty much knows it word for word off by heart, along with every other Mel Brooks movie--we have them all).

I read mostly non-fiction books, the librarians are used to me now (I check out about 40 books every 2 weeks) but have quite the Sci Fi and Fantasy collection as well.

I'm a Mac, but my family's first home computer was an Atari 130XE, which came with a Space Invaders game cartridge. Friends of my brother bootlegged several games for the thing, including "Lode Runner" "Jump Man" and "Montezuma's Revenge"--good times.

My daughters have been HP fans since each started reading the books in second grade, I had no choice but to join in. We have regular HP movie marathons, and there are daily quotes from the movies around our house. I have a friend who managed to procure 3 autographed photos of Daniel Radcliffe a few years ago, these are framed and hung in our basement family room along with 4 hand-painted Hogwarts House Banners.

I watched the original BSG in real time, and have watched most of the new series plus have started to watch Caprica (a little behind on that one, but that is what DVDs are for). On a related note, I've seen nearly all of the original Hawaii Five-O series and am enjoying the new show for what it is as it is nothing like the original but still a good program.

There's more, I know it and it will come to me as I read what geekiness everyone else is up to...

Jaxom said:
*what books I am keeping, includes everything I can get my hands on written by Ann McCaffery
)
My Lord Jaxom, I'm with you on all the Anne McCaffrey books. Pern is often my reality, if I'm in the middle of the series. I flip flop between reading them all in the order they were published, and reading them in Pern-chronological order. She has a few inconsistencies in there, but I love her anyway. I also love her short stories and so many of her other series. I especially loved Nimisha's Ship, and wish she had taken it further into more books.

big brown horse said:
Did anyone else here love/watch "Third Rock From the Sun"? It was one of my top 3 sit coms back in the day.
That was an awesome show. "You can't be Tommy, he looks like a girl!" (Did you know that John Lithgow not only read children's books aloud, but also played and sang on children's song CDs?)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Anna Raven, are you sure we aren't related somehow? It's possible. I don't know who I'm related to LOL.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
Anna Raven, are you sure we aren't related somehow? It's possible. I don't know who I'm related to LOL.
It is possible. I'm adopted. First time I met someone I was related to by blood was in the delivery room when my daughter was born.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ME TOO! hee hee. Well half adopted. I'm related to my dad.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
More a geek, than a nerd, I think.

Flunked a quickie computer class in high school (TRS 80). Then in 1990 my FIL gave us a Mac Classic. It was all downhill from there.

At one time I could quote the specs on every Mac model ever made.

I built computers for a while, until I got bored with it.

Saw my first website in May of 1999 (the month the internet came to our isolated town), got a contract for building one for the town five months later, and THEY asked ME.

I frequently speak in tech acronym, and I know what they mean.

I can't program to save my life, but I've directed the creation of four software products, three of which are making money.

I know what PCI Compliance means.

As a kid I read everything I could get my hands on - including the Encyclopedia, Childcraft books, etc.

My husband regularly trots out ST and SW for Saturday Marathons.

Two of my sons are writing Sci Fi books. Another one is a network admin, who used to help me build computers at the kitchen table when he was a teen (poor kid didn't have much of a chance).

I had to forbid my sons from reading Harry Potter because they got so lost in it they couldn't even function.

There are certain movies in our house that if someone starts quoting, the family can just about quote start to finish (Princess Bride is one of them).

Love doing puzzles, and we have no TV signal or Cable in our house.

And the final proof... I can diagnose and troubleshoot computer and website problems, but I still have to have my husband program the VCR or set my watch.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I watched all of the episodes of "Farscape" back to back stopping only to sleep. Took about 67 hours. It was a continuity thing.
BROTHER! welcome.. come right on in.....

ps AR i knew you were a nerd too ha!
;-)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
Love doing puzzles, and we have no TV signal or Cable in our house.
:woot

Still not sure what I count as LOL. Just an abifae I guess.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
As a kid I read everything I could get my hands on - including the Encyclopedia, Childcraft books, etc.
LOVEd Childcraft books! I read them regularly. And the Encyclopedia. I preferred World Book over Britannica. Does it make you a real nerd to have built a preference for one encyclopedia over another?