The Official Duck Discussion Thread

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
bad is in the eye of the beholder, baby!

but um.. they continue on their current trajectory, possibly increasing in poop.

honestly, i love them. but they breed like rats so if you really dont like them then it may be time for duck dinner. one of our ladies hatched 18 babies without even batting an eye.

:)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
bad is in the eye of the beholder, baby!

but um.. they continue on their current trajectory, possibly increasing in poop.

honestly, i love them. but they breed like rats so if you really dont like them then it may be time for duck dinner. one of our ladies hatched 18 babies without even batting an eye.

:)
Is the mess as noticeable when they free range? Duck meat is on the way. Thats what I bought em for. So theyd breed and give me ducklings for the freezer.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Muscovey's are one of the least messy of all the different breeds of ducks, if you ask me!
At 5 weeks could they be taken out of the brooder? This year we had ours out at three weeks. They feather out faster without heat lamps, so could that be a factor?

I think I remember the pictures when you first got them.. Do you have updated photos?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hated mine until I got them outside full time. They were disgusting :sick I love, love, love them now. Except for when Fran is noisy.
The mess is pretty much contained to wherever the water is kept. Just put their water source on gravel or pavers and it's not bad.

Sundancers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I loved my Muscovys but they are ALL GONE! I could not keep them out of my garden and they wanted to roost on the porch.:barnie

Ours also became a nightmare ... and in the end, I found a guy that would take them all!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Muscovey's are one of the least messy of all the different breeds of ducks, if you ask me!
At 5 weeks could they be taken out of the brooder? This year we had ours out at three weeks. They feather out faster without heat lamps, so could that be a factor?

I think I remember the pictures when you first got them.. Do you have updated photos?
They are being brooded in the garage. The heat lamp is on at night only, because of this weather we ve been having lately. Pic is uploading to my username. Thanks Everyone.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
1419_muscovys.jpg

Here they are. Can you tell anything from the pic? I just took it.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can tell they are cute! :D Sorry they are hasseling you so much... same with my cornish, they are SO messy and stinky! Hopefully they will get better once you move them outside. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I thought baby chicks were bad, but by then I hadnt brooded waterfowl yet.

Latest posts