The Official Duck Discussion Thread

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Y'all are just truly awesome!:thumbsup

I know I might be opening a can of worms here :hide, but if I can pick and choose breeds, is there one that's best? These will NOT be pet ducks. Ducks are for ponds, not my house! I'm in south/central GA, so cold shouldn't be a tremendous issue. While I eventually want to get there (meat), I don't know that initially I'll be using the ducks for anything more than eggs, if that.

I repeat, I'm a newbie to all of this homesteading stuff, and I wanna do it all! I know it will take time, but while I'm learning, any and all help is appreciated!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think this should be renamed to the official Duck Discussion thread. Any seconds?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I tried a couple of different breeds before I settled on Welsh Harlequins. They are considered a dual purpose breed, though I have yet to eat one. They don't mind the cold and can handle heat. They don't HAVE to have swimming water but they do love it. HUGE eggs, lay almost as well as a khaki cambell. Much calmer than a runner (had one, she was CRAZY!!!). Quieter than buffs (boy are they LOUD!!!). Way more friendly than rouens (mine was stuck up! LOL).

I think they are pretty to look at, very entertaining to watch, they can't fly worth a darn, and they can brood their own young. Another plus is that you can sex the ducklings at hatching. Girls have light almost pink bills. Boys have dark bills.

The next breed I would consider is scovies, but you already have those. The only thing I don't like about scovies is they can fly.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto what Wife said. Plus the WH are pretty.
I'm still waiting on eggs though. I hope they don't keep me waiting until spring. They are 6 months old now :/

Latest posts