The Official Duck Discussion Thread

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nifty said:
We were SHOCKED with how much more messy and stinky ducklings are compared to chicks. 10 baby chicks weren't 1/2 as messy as 3 ducklings! It is a good thing they are so stinkin' cute!

Our ducklings are now grown and since not in the house we don't have nearly the issues. With that said, their poop seems way liquid / messy, and more frequent, than the chickens. Maybe it is just our perception. Again, totally messy, but they are so cute!
Not just your perception. they eat more wet fiber that goes right through them than chickens do. Makes more and wetter poop. Chickens tend to conserve water, drink less of it. Ducks were meant for places that were wet and messy before they came along. they use much more water for a short time before they poop it out. Usually only a problem in winter quarters.~gd

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Contemplating ducks (whatever the feed store has) come spring. Last year they had Pekins and one other breed. For the cuteness factor, as well as possibly meat.

Once I bring home my cute little ducklings, what will I have to do with them (haven't raised fowl of ANY sort before) to get them to survive until adulthood/teenage years - something. Oh, and did I mention we have a pond? A real, live, nice big pond? Will that make a difference? Hadn't planned on having them fenced in or anything.

As you can see, ANY advice would be totally welcomed!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
They need a heat source of some sort until the are feathered out. They grow REALLY fast and are almost full size at 4 weeks. They can usually go without extra heat around 5 weeks.

The pond sounds great, but they will need a secure night pen. Lots of critters love a free duck dinner :p

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I got ducks this year and learned all about them here and at BYC....there is a duck section over there, have you seen it? Lots and lots of good ideas and education on ducks and brooding ducklings. And when you have the actual ducks, you can pose questions that you may have pop up. It was invaluable. Lots of duck lovers here at SS as well.

At work when they ask me how I learned so much about the poultry, I always say that Backyard Chicken taught me everything I need to know! ;)

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for your help - I stopped by BYC once, but since I don't have any poultry yet, I just bookmarked it for future reference. What would constitute a secure night pen?

And how old would they need to be before I could quit worrying about the yard cats (who NEVER go to the pond, but that could change with ducks down there) not being interested in a free duck dinner?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Once the ducks are feathered out they are taller than the cats. That was enough for my cats to think twice about going after the ducks. Plus I had a spunky little Khaki Campbell when I first started raising ducks. She chased our young male cat until he hid under a wheelbarrow. Then she wouldn't let him out. We had to rescue him :D

This pretty much set the tone for the cat/duck relationship at our house :gig

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Thanks for your help - I stopped by BYC once, but since I don't have any poultry yet, I just bookmarked it for future reference. What would constitute a secure night pen?

And how old would they need to be before I could quit worrying about the yard cats (who NEVER go to the pond, but that could change with ducks down there) not being interested in a free duck dinner?
depends on your Yard cats and ducks. Usually the second time the cat gets the tar beat out of him by a duck he loses interest in a free duck dinner. With tiny call ducks and medium sized cats you can never quit worrying about your ducks. With big old Muscovy Drakes worry about your cats getting raped. LOL

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
regarding cats - I think it depends on the ducks. My ducks are afraid of their own shadows. They run from everything. I have 2 cats who like to sneak up on the ducks, scare them to pieces and then sit back and laugh as the ducks run away. :lol: I'm not sure what would happen if one of the drakes actually got brave enough to defend.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have 4 runners in a rabbit hutch....they love it but get no water inside there except for a small little bowl and they usually turn it over by the morning so I don't even bother unless I know I'm gonna be late in the morning letting them out. We had to train them but they love it in the hutch. They free range with the chickens and yes they mess up the water but I love them for the eggs and the entertainment value. They have so much personality.....now when they hatched out 30 babies this past spring that was a whole 'nother matter. At least they were outside with their mamas and I didn't have to fool with a brooder :sick

I recommend a tractor for brooding. Easy peasy....when the ground gets gross just move it. Hang a light in there and let it roll.
I also use a concrete mixing tub with shavings in it for them to sleep/nest in. Makes cleaning up really easy....I just carry the tub to the woods/compost bin and dump it out. You can get it from Home Depot or Lowes for like, $7. It's heavy black plastic and practically indestructible.

The big thing with ducks is that if they don't have enough space they will stay messy. Lock em up at night and let em loose during the day.

here's a pic...the rabbits are gone now
100_2966-1.jpg

Latest posts