THE OFFICIAL GARDENING AND PRESERVING CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have more nubbins of garlic :rant I moved the plants :/ *sigh* Will it grow back? It will, right? I haven't grown garlic before :hu

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have not done garlic either. I picked one the other day just to see. It looked like a big huge fat onion or leek. Smelled like garlic. But no cloves or even a bulb. :idunno

I planted grocery store cloves. Maybe that's the problem. :idunno

Anyone know???

g

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I planted both grocery store and bought bulbs :D We shall see I suppose ;) I hope it grows back :/

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The garlic looks like it might have enough greenery left to try and take hold again.

One thing to remember about garlic is that it is a slow growing plant. I had mine in their planter for most of the summer, and they only grew tiny bulbs about as big around as a large cherry. They'll developed cloves later on, but when planting, you'll get one clove swelling into a bulb, and then dividing into cloves. It'll have a thick papery skin over it.

That said, I'm going to try planting them at the proper time of year: fall/winter, because apparently they need that month or two of cold to trigger whatever it is they need for growing. I'm hoping I can harvest my own garlic when all is said and done, as its obscenely expensive here.

Tomorrow, my FIL and I will be going to the allotment to plant garlic, chives, possibly rhubarb, Brussels Sprouts, the last of the snow peas, and maybe some winter spinach.

I've learned that it's about a half hour walk to the plot, so I can make the days in which I'm gardening by myself day events, walk there early in the morning, work throughout the day, just nice, gentle effort, rest when I have to (or my back starts to give out), bring a lunch or something (love that tea room feature), and then head home when I've finished my work for the day.

Does anyone have any other good suggestions for winter growing things?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Winter huh??? I always seed carrots in the fall. But I really don't have winters here.

Not like everyone else.

I did plant my garlic on the Winter Solstice day when they said to plant garlic. I will give it some more time.

Thanks.

g

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whee! :weee

We've started work in our garden plot this morning, and have planted Brussels Sprouts, garlic and snow peas at the top end. We've inherited a courgette (zucchini) which might still put some squash on, a curly leafed parsley plant, and a couple patches of silver beet as well. Oh, and a potato plant, and a young tomato that probably won't make it.

In our diggings, we turned up several new potatoes, a couple turnips, some sprouting garlic, some shallots, and an onion! That's almost enough for a stew! Mm, stew. Maybe with goat meat...

Happy! :ya

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I started seeds last Friday. One thing has already sprouted. The only problem is I messed up when labeling things and don't know what it is! I've tried looking through left over seeds to see if I can identify it but no luck so far. :p

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Everything from the weekend sprouted with the exception of the peppers, which need 3-4 more days by my calendar.
:woot
the peppers popped up today. So far, so good!

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went to the plot yesterday, and worked the ground to loosen it up, raked it over, and broke up the clumps. I noticed that the pitch of the plot would benefit from having a terraced thing, so I put in a board and created two beds rather roughly. It ain't pretty, but i can fix it later. It was enough to allow me to see my "vision". I dug a small composting hole in the corner. I'll be planting Early California Red and Hunter River Brown Onions, Scarlet Globe Radishes, Best Of All Swede, and All Year Round Lettuce, and see how the lot goes.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I should take some pictures. I have a little green all over. We are expecting some cold rain this weekend. I hope nothing gets pummeled by hail.

g

Status
Not open for further replies.