THE OFFICIAL GARDENING AND PRESERVING CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We moved to Texas about four weeks ago. Scrambled to get seeds (had to go cheap instead of what I really wanted), and to work the garden.

We have about a 36 X 50 ft plot, which had bad soil. Situated right next to a goat barn with about 4" of mostly composted goat manure. Seemed like a match made in heaven.

No tiller. So we spaded and raked (the only tools we had). Alex (son), and Kevin (hubby) hauled manure and Betsy and I raked it over the soil, then spaded and raked again. We divided the garden into blocks, and prepared and planted one section at a time. Each of those blocks was subdivided into four planting blocks about 4' X 5'.

The weeds JUST LOVED IT! Especially when we started seeding and watering!

But, the plants are growing too. Almost everything that we planted is up, except the carrots, eggplant, and a few other things that take longer for germination. Many of the plants sprung up within 2 days of planting, due to the warm weather.

I planted radishes for the animals, and have been thinning them and feeding the thinnings to the rabbits and chickens for the last few days.

The lettuce is high enough that I'll be able to thin that and use the thinnings for baby lettuce within a couple of days also.

Turnips (also planted for the animals), are up high enough to start thinning and tossing the thinnings to the chickens and rabbits also.

We've got tomatoes, potatoes, and squash all up and thriving.

We have water issues here - it is hot, so we water well once a day, but it is already drying out pretty badly by the end of the day. Not an issue for established plants, but certainly for germinating seeds. We've left a blanket of weeds around many of the widely spaced plants, to keep the moisture in the soil. We'll just keep those from going to seed.

The greens were block planted, and broadcast sown. That way they come up thick (which helps conserve moisture), and we pull the baby plants for use early on. Uses more seeds, but those extra seeds cost less than greens from the grocery store, and those baby plants will feed us for an extra two months while waiting for more mature produce.

My goal is to not have to buy any veggies. As the crops die out, I'll replant with new crops for whatever season, and keep things going year-round. I wish I could also grow my own fruit, but not possible since we don't own the land here.

Someone asked about winter crops. The key to that is that not much will SPROUT or GERMINATE during the winter, but a lot of things will GROW, or HOLD through the winter if covered appropriately. Covering can mean row covers, coldframes, greenhouse, or just straw.

Even in Wyoming we could plant broccoli, cabbage, kale, and even lettuce late, and have it go far into the fall and winter. Broccoli will stand frosts well, and keep slowly growing, though growth does radically slow down. Nice thing is that there are NO cabbage loopers once the frosts hit, so no pulling those out of your meal! :)

Most root crops will hold over the winter if they are deep enough - carrots, turnips, potatoes, etc. And even if they don't hold over (they won't in Wyoming or Alaska, they'll freeze out), they'll go pretty far into the winter, past when the top layer of soil is frozen, if covered in straw.

The best book I've seen on the subject, is The Four Season Harvest. Teaches a lot about the traditional European winter gardening techniques.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I got 15 more tomatoes set out today and have 6 bell pepper plants to set out soon. We planted 4 rows of sweet corn yesterday afternoon, and everything else looks good. LOTS of carrots coming up now :D I also added new bedding to the coops today and picked up a few extra pullets...more eggs and fertilizer ;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Since my last post on 3/27 I have added....
1 more bell pepper
2 Serrano (had planted 2 Anaheim)
1 Rutgers tomato
1 more Lemon Cuke
1 more slicing Cuke

Then yesterday I bought. 6 pack of Brandywine. I only wanted two but what's a girl to do when the nursery only has 6 packs? :lol: they were ready to be put in larger pots so I repotted them up to buy a little time.

My plan is to plant 3 Brandy's in three different settings. 1 in an earth box, one in a 20" pot and one in amended soil. The earth box has a fairly small soil space but unlimited water, a large pot has more soil space but will be up to me to manage the water, in the ground obviously is the usual best bet, but my soil is terrible...so I just want to see how one does with an amended spot.

I also bought 2 zucchini and 2 crook necks. Gotta find a place for them

I can't help myself!
I also started a garden journal to track what I am growing and how it does. For example, one tomato in a large pot with fresh potting mix is about $25. Then I need to add in some sort of support, so that will up the cost. Just want to track how many pounds of maters (and other fruits) I get so that can really calculate the value. Next year of course I will not have to buy the pots so that will be an interesting comparison to this year.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Dace - thanks for the update, isn't cool that when you write things down, I start paying waaay more attention to what you're doing? :D

My 'mater seedlings are growing their first 'mater leaves (first past the initial leaves)!!!

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went to the plot yesterday, and though it was too wet to work it, I see some garlic coming up! Along with a few volunteers, and the potato plant will need the dirt mounded up around it soon too. :D And the zucchini are doing great as well.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Got 4 more rows of corn planted today. Tomorrow since I can't get in the actual garden, I am going to add my next level of tires to the tater towers, as they are tall enough to warrant another now :D We got a ton of rain today and it felt sooooo good to not have to break out the hose!

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
alrighty, i got ALL my seeds planted in flats and out in the greenhouse. :ya
got carrots, turnips, radishes, and parsnips planted in the garden.
today its raining and grey... :(

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It rained almost all night, and so the ground it way to soggy to want to work. I'm hoping the sun coems out and things dry a bit, because I want to get these seeds in the ground. But, I'm wondering if maybe I should wait on that...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
More rain today and the weekend weather forecast is talking SNOW SHOWERS!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.