THE OFFICIAL GARDENING AND PRESERVING CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
My bush beans are coming up nicely :D Corn is about a foot tall now, counted nine tomatoes on the vines :woot this afternoon, and the pole beans are doing great as well. Squash and pumpkins are looking great, taters too, and the pepper plants have DOUBLED in size since last week and have tiny baby peppers on them now!! Onions are looking oniony, and garlic is galicky :lol: Peas...and the one single broccoli who survived...looks good. Snails are gone ;)

I picked some more turnip greens today and a couple baby carrots as well.

I also found a boatLOAD of HUGE worms around the place the other day while hunting down snakes and promptly put them in a bucket added a little manure and some veggie peelings and such and all hundred or so of them seem happy as a pig in mud :D Vermicomposting has began!!! That will be great for the garden!
boy, oh boy, your neighborhood deer will be nice and plump by the time hunting season comes around. :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:
My bush beans are coming up nicely :D Corn is about a foot tall now, counted nine tomatoes on the vines :woot this afternoon, and the pole beans are doing great as well. Squash and pumpkins are looking great, taters too, and the pepper plants have DOUBLED in size since last week and have tiny baby peppers on them now!! Onions are looking oniony, and garlic is galicky :lol: Peas...and the one single broccoli who survived...looks good. Snails are gone ;)

I picked some more turnip greens today and a couple baby carrots as well.

I also found a boatLOAD of HUGE worms around the place the other day while hunting down snakes and promptly put them in a bucket added a little manure and some veggie peelings and such and all hundred or so of them seem happy as a pig in mud :D Vermicomposting has began!!! That will be great for the garden!
boy, oh boy, your neighborhood deer will be nice and plump by the time hunting season comes around. :lol:
so what is the update on the 'taters?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Deer are deterred, and the taters are NOT blighty. it was sunscald on a few of the leaves apparently. The rain beat the leaves down onto the tires in a couple spots, then the sun poked it's head out and scalded them. No blight, they look fine :hu I need more tires!!! They are blooming now :) Gonna has me some pretty taters :D :D :D

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just planted two rows of sunflowers, got two more to plant.
mind you each row is about 35 foot long...
got my indian corn, quinoa, amaranth, peppers, tomatoes planted. and about half of my onions too.
i killed my lettuce seedlings :(
and my herb seedlings... hoping they will come back some...

i wish i could get this tan without all the sweating :sick

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Picked a pound of asparagus this afternoon before the monsoon hit. Tips are grilling in the oven with olive oil and garlic.

Rest is going to cream of asparagus soup.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Noticed the radishes are starting to bulb up! Going to try transplanting them, as they pooled when it rained. Sooo doing home-made seed tape in fall!

Got about 6" of the garden weeded around the onions before the toddler got sand in his flip flop and had a meltdown. Then his baby brother woke up (again!) so out of frustration we came in. UGH. Gardening with youngin's is hard! I wanted to weed really good, lay straw around my onions now that they are well rooted and transplant my radishes. Oh well.

Took out the trays on seedlings out into the sun to start the hardening off process. They need sunlight if they are ever going to get to transplanting size by June 1st. It was perfect weather to start hardening off too. Warmer, not too hot, nice sun, very gentle breeze. Hope by Friday to have them out for good except at night (it's still too low here.)

Going to plant some lettuce heads that I forgot to plant, either today if I can get out there or tomorrow!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Despite the heavy rains, the lettuce, spinach, and radishes are starting up fine. I did see one or two pathetic bean sprouts poking up through the puddles in the garden.

Rain is forecasted for all next week.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Despite the heavy rains, the lettuce, spinach, and radishes are starting up fine. I did see one or two pathetic bean sprouts poking up through the puddles in the garden.

Rain is forecasted for all next week.
The TRUE challenge this year - getting the garden STARTED! :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I just realized, this whole NE Ohio weather thing is MY fault. I thought I was going to be kicking BarredBuff and Wannabefree's hinies this year with my garden! :p

Oh yeah, the sun is out in the western sky and it's pouring rain. Must go look for a rainbow.....

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Sorry to heat about all of you folks who are struggling with the rain!

I thought I would share a couple of pics.....

My first Cuke
77d5f689.jpg

Some 'maters
6b698fdd.jpg

Hang in there guys.....(where is the life raft smiley?)

Status
Not open for further replies.