The Old Ways

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bread boxes....anyone remember when everyone had a bread box? I saw some at the Habitat store last week and they brought back fond memories, but then I got to thinking, "Why don't people have those anymore???"

http://areturntosimplicity.com/using-a-bread-box/

I'm wondering how well my homemade bread would keep in just a wooden bread box as opposed to a zip loc bag? It's been years since we had a bread box and now I don't remember how effective they were, I just know that's where we kept our bread.

Anyone still have a bread box?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember the breadboxes, but don't have one. I was just thinking I did something yesterday that was a flashback to my past. :)

When we were kids, every fall my dad would get pitchforks and rakes and we'd all like into the pickup truck. And we'd go along ditches and get up some of the old grass that had been cut down and had dried. Those of us who were smaller would stand in the teuck and use our bodies to "pack it in" ( usually amidst a lot of laughter). Then we'd drive home and spread it out over the old sewer line leading away from the house all the way back to the field behind the barn where our sewage would drain into an open ditch. We'd make a dozen or more trips, but covering the sewer line kept it from freezing up over the winter.

So yesterday, I was outside raking leaves over our water line that comes in from the road. And I never even really thought about what I was doing until I was finished and looked back at my work. Does anyone else still cover their pipe lines?
IMG_20171226_131055.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember the breadboxes, but don't have one. I was just thinking I did something yesterday that was a flashback to my past. :)

When we were kids, every fall my dad would get pitchforks and rakes and we'd all like into the pickup truck. And we'd go along ditches and get up some of the old grass that had been cut down and had dried. Those of us who were smaller would stand in the teuck and use our bodies to "pack it in" ( usually amidst a lot of laughter). Then we'd drive home and spread it out over the old sewer line leading away from the house all the way back to the field behind the barn where our sewage would drain into an open ditch. We'd make a dozen or more trips, but covering the sewer line kept it from freezing up over the winter.

So yesterday, I was outside raking leaves over our water line that comes in from the road. And I never even really thought about what I was doing until I was finished and looked back at my work. Does anyone else still cover their pipe lines? View attachment 5634

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, I have a breadbox that was from mom's house. Its metal but, she used it all the time. I don't. I don't think it keeps it any fresher. They were probably started to help, not the same wrap products we have now, plus it kept bugs & varmits away.

Besides - stale bread is great for French toast, bread pudding, toast, croutons, bread crumbs, stuffing, chicken feed, etc. :)

My water lines are basically all underground, except where they come up at various points for spigots to fill water troughs. But, I do have an underground cut off at each of those, with a 2nd spigot just above the cut off which lets me drain the pipe going up for use.

Mulch has been used for a lot of "protection" issues. It works. People without cellars used to dig a hole, line with leaves/boards/tub, etc., add winter veggies to store, cover those with flour sacks or burlap, then cover heavily with mulch. Carefully move some to get a portion of the food in winter. Then recover the spot. It works.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a nice bread box I bought around '99 or '00. It's square where just the front opens. This is important since we were living in an apartment with a tiny kitchen. The flat top allowed me to store stuff on top of it and keep the bread from getting squished. Do you know how hard it was to find a square one?

Growing up we had to put bags of leaves or crumpled newspaper in the hole for the sewage meter so it wouldn't freeze. Every fall the sewer company sent out letters to remind people to do this, and every spring to remove them.

We lived in town. I don't think any relatives had to cover anything. All water and septic lines were buried pretty deep. Old style well set up where it was well below ground level with a building above. Potatoes would be stored down there where they stayed cool but wouldn't freeze.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
In my previous house I had two breadboxes. One big square and tin, the other the usual type with the pull over lid, also metal. I found them when I moved in, but never used them. I tend to forget about foodstuff when it's hidden somewhere unusual and a breadbox fits that category for me now. When I grew up I vaguely remember using one and storing the butter in there with the bread.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had bread boxes, but don't now. When we moved 3 years ago, that was one of the things I gave up.