The Old Ways

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Old school: I seriously enjoy reading rather than watching tv, and I like a real book with real pages rather than a tablet or computer or other electronic device. I enjoy listening to a baseball game on the radio when I am outside working, and still sometimes expect to see my dad the way he looked when I was a kid, listening too. (I don't have any patience for watching baseball on tv). I like long rides in a car, especially on a quiet, sunny, Saturday afternoon, and a picnic lunch, even better if we find an old hand pump for fresh water. I like hiking in a woods to find a waterfall, or kayaking on a small lake before the sun comes up to watch the day come alive. (Did I mention I'm not a tv watcher??) I find I get impatient if I'm in the "living room" too long, and would be quite happy doubling the size of my kitchen, adding a giant table in the middle of it, extending the front porch, and getting rid of the "living room" altogether...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I dont most of the time. That's only because hubby steals it
I don't most of the time, because I have an 11-year old that really, really wants to do it… And "clean" the bowl!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I seriously enjoy reading rather than watching tv, and I like a real book with real pages rather than a tablet or computer or other electronic device.
Same here! I love books and would much rather read from a page than a tablet, or computer. I do enjoy watching T.V. BUT I have to have my sewing to keep my hands busy, or I can't sit still. And then I end up with a bit more than half my attention on the quilt I'm working on and the rest on the T.V. lol

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I am sure thinking I like some of the "old ways" !! My computer did some crappy things so it went for a revamp. WOW...I am aghast at the changes!!! Plus I just got a tablet so that I could conform to work requirements of reporting on site. Between the two I am soooooo frustrated & stressed. LOL. Looking for a "tablets for dummies" book!! Instead, I set an appointment for help from my almost 16 y/o GD -- told her to get over giggles first!! Hey, I still use a flip phone. Time will heal.

BUT -- I am a long time sew person. My kids had custom made clothes, as did I and some for hubby too. While I haven't done a lot of it in past several years, I hope to catch back up with it this winter. I'm pretty good and enjoy doing it.
It is hard to find fabric stores now, so many have closed. I like to "feel" the product and that really limits on-line buying. Of course, like most sewers, I have more than a large stockpile of fabrics! OK -- EXTREME amount. LOL

Never did much with knitting or crocheting but, I can whip you up a wedding dress, business suit, set of curtains, or novelty toy with ease. We all have our traits. Oh, I love cross stitch & embroidery, too.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to do lots of needlepoint and embroidery. I gave it all away. I got a few needlepoint pillows back when the recipients died. LOL

I used to sew a lot. I made lots of stuff. A friend asked me to make her wedding dress and I was thrilled. Finally! I was going to go all out and make it a beautiful frothy white dress. Then she told me she wanted it in Mossy Oak camouflage. :thWe got the pattern and the fabric and I made the dress. It had poofy short sleeves that attached to long bell shaped sleeves. I lined them with a cream colored fabric. I told her it was her white-tailed deer flag in case she cut for the woods. LOL The wedding was held in a cow pasture, the guests wore camo and it was one of the most original weddings I have ever seen. ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I seriously enjoy reading rather than watching tv, and I like a real book with real pages rather than a tablet or computer or other electronic device. I enjoy listening to a baseball game on the radio when I am outside working,

Same here...got a floor to ceiling book case that's about 6 ft. wide, used to be an entertainment center but the TV, VCR, DVR is all gone and that space is filled with books. I broke down and bought another book shelf for another part of the house for our overflow, as we have books stacked two deep on all the shelves on the big unit.

I too like to listen to something as I chore, most often it's sermons from my favorite preachers or bluegrass gospel music. It helps me work better if I'm listening to something or singing along.

Another old way's thing...I actually LIKE to work. I know that's a dirty word in today's society, but I view work as a blessing rather than a curse. I love working hard all day, coming in tired and extremely dirty, taking a wonderful hot shower and falling into my soft bed to sleep. Sure, I hurt like the dickens nowadays when I do that, but it's still worth it.

Another thing I like to do is to make things out of scraps to improve my ergonomics or homestead life. It's fun to use ingenuity to create a solution to a problem and even better if it didn't cost you anything. It's become a sort of game of mine to see what I can come up with, using my available materials, to solve a particular problem.

Latest posts