The Pagan Circle

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was sooo excited to see this thread a little bit ago. Sat down to read, as the blizzard rages outside, and we sit warm and comfy in our modern-ish home. Read, enjoyed, thought about a few things to say about how we live our own lives here. How I was raised a Southern Baptist but when a family member's death hit me especially hard, went searching for answers that I didn't get in my background. Found out being spiritual, and embracing the light and MY light and the beauty of BEing is right for me. To appreciate what was created without the help of (hu)man (NOT worshipping it!).

Then hit on page 8.

I appreciate people asking questions about others' beliefs, but when responses aren't read completely, or assumptions aren't thrown down but instead attempt to abutt with their own beliefs, it's a disappointment. And yet another topic redirected.

As to the subject ...

We don't participate in a circle or coven or organized group at all. When the clouds move aside, we admire the beauty of stars. When they don't, we bless and thank the clouds for the gift of moisture and shade. Little tips of green emerging from the soil prompts thankfulness for Mother Earth providing food for us and the creatures entrusted to our care. Candles shine light on our thoughts of those who passed on, and hopes for our future. Intuition and "gut feelings" are listened to, as are "de ja vu" experiences. Universal energy brings guided relief to sore shoulders, anxious animals and angry children. Anger at those things not controllable must be turned to something more productive. We did a hand-fasting then a typical marriage ceremony. We did a house inspection but also did a house-clearing OUR way. We have plans for a special garden, surrounded by roses and herbs and sweet-smelling life, enabling us to sit and contemplate.

To answer the original question: For Samhain, my hubby takes my kid trick-or-treating, then afterward when he's in bed, Hubby and I will light a candle for hubby's recently passed father. Then we'll take some time to plan our next year, anticipating changes to finances, family, government, and weather. Then we'll hold hands and blow out the candles, take the dog out one last time, and head to bed, awaking in the morning to start a new year.

Guess that's it for me.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
GreenEggs- I like the simplicity of your Samhain plans. One thing I've found is that, when I was in a coven, I enjoyed the rituals: raising the circle and calling the quarters and all that. But when I am celebrating solitary, like I do now, I somehow feel a little silly going through the whole formal ritual. My rituals now are usually done silently, and don't take very long. It's enough for me to raise power and return it to the earth, and to spend a few moments acknowledging the Wheel and where I am upon it.

One thing I intend to do this Samhain, is to lay down a magical protective barrier around our property. Something involving charged mirrors or witch bottles, I think, to reflect negativity away from us and back to wherever it is coming from. I used to do this every Samhain, but that was partly because we lived next door to some very negative people. I don't seem to have any bad neighbors, but with these bad times coming it seems like a good thing to start doing again. I like the reflective barrier because it does not clash with the Rule of Three (whatever you send out will be returned to you thrice), I'm not sending anything out, merely preventing anything from coming in.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Britesea please tell me more about the witch bottle. I am slightly familiar with them but not for this use. I would love to incorporate that into my simple plans for Samhain.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
agreed, would love to hear about them too. i like the idea of putting up a "saftey barrier"

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The witch bottle is a very old magical tool. They have been dug up in England, and even in some colonial America sites. They work by attracting negative energies that have been directed at you and ensnare them in bunch of stuff like needles, pins, fish hooks, etc. so they can't reach you.

Basically, you take a bottle (make sure you have a cork that will fit it!) and draw a face on it (I just used a sharpie). This is to fool the harmful entities into thinking they have found their target.
fill it with sharp objects- needles, pins, fishhooks, old razor blades, broken knife blades- whatever you have that will fit through the opening. It doesn't have to be full to the top. When you have a good amount of pins, add a sprig of fresh rosemary and fill the bottle with red wine or red wine vinegar. In the old days, they were often filled with blood or urine to further trick the evil spirits. I accidentally pricked my finger when I did my first one, so I squeezed out what I could and added it to the wine I was using; blood has a lot of strong energy in it. While you are filling the bottle, visualize the bottle snagging evil thoughts and such from the air with the sharp points and drowning them in the wine; the rosemary sends them back to where they originated from. I chanted this little spell to help

Needles and Pins, Rosemary and Wine
Come together in this bottle of mine
Guard against harm and enmity
This is my will, so mote it be!

Then you cork the bottle and seal it by melting red wax all over the top. I scratched a banishing pentagram into the top of the wax with my athame and then buried four of them at the corners of my property (which at the time coincided fairly closely with the cardinal directions- now I would have to kind of fudge that a bit)

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
AnnaRaven said:
Wannabefree said:
I just think it's pretty cool that we're all finding out that we're not so different in our beliefs.

Someone mentioned a while back predjudices. I think I've lost mine :lol: I'm glad I came in here and asked a bunch of questions. I know we'll likely never see it completely the way the opposing side of this debate does, but understanding and acceptance is still nice. I think all of you are very smart, and I am impressed with your abilities to articulate your beliefs. I have ran across so many folks who don't even know why they believe what they do, and it is frustrating to me! I'm naturally inquisitive and I want REAL answers :lol: So thanks to all who have responded to my questions :)
Thank you for taking the time to ask respectfully and actually read the responses. I love folks who are willing to ask, listen and try to understand regardless of whether they agree or what their religion is. I explored many religious paths as a teen, finally coming to Wicca and finding myself home. For others, some form of Christianity was home. In my initiation, I was taught "Do not blaspheme the name by which another knows their god". There are many paths that lead to connectedness with the divine - which is what religion is supposed to be about, imho. While I may not follow your path (I have nothing I feel I need to be "saved" from), I respect your choice and right to follow that path and truly hope that it brings you blessings.
:hugs Thanks, that is so sweet! :)
Funny thing is that once you break down most faith based systems to there core does and don'ts what they teach is very similar. All too often we get caught up in splitting hairs in the wording and what names the main characters had.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I totally agree. I also believe that a single word/name/story can make the truth a lie or a lie into the truth. Of course, every single one of us has the truth we want ;) I do believe there is only one truth, and only one way to the truth, which sounds very close minded :lol: and is kind of, but not completely. I think others may be curious to know more, therefore, a bit unsettled on what they are willing to accept as the ultimate truth and have found that in this thread with folks admittedly wanting to know more. There is some of that in the Christian thread as well. I have found alot of folks to be hesitant about settling on a single idea of creation or spirituality or many other aspects of religious belief for their entire lives, but still settled on a particular faith, generally speaking. I love to discuss other options, and ideas, and can completely respect others beliefs even when I disagree, because not everyone will be at the same point in spiritual growth at the same time. I think that is where a good bit of animosity comes into play between individuals when discussing religious belief.

It really suprises me how settled most of you are in your faith, maybe not so settled on the ways to practice or worship, but completely settled in faith. That was much to my point of curiosity to begin with. I wanted to know how folks came to the conclusions about their faith, and settled on one, and why. I shared why I did, and I think this has been great conversation.

I think coming in here and asking questions has been beneficial to us all in understanding each other a bit better. I think a lot of folks tend to think the "opposing" religious ideals are somewhat abrasive, and don't want to hear it. I'm glad everyone here has been patient with me. This has really helped me personally to have a deeper respect for others, both as people, and as people with different religious ideas from my own. So thanks :)

Now, I seriously think I will leave before folks patience runs out :lol: I just realized I wouldn't want pagan beliefs and discussion to overtake the Christian thread so I probably shouldn't give so much opinion here either and let you all have your thread back. I just find it all fascinating and would love to have a seperate thread for everyone willing to peacefully discuss the differences, but again I think that might be pushing it. At least come over to the Christian thread and say hello once in a while though or drop me a PM :)

I hope you all have a wonderful time with your thread! :hugs

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I just find it all fascinating and would love to have a seperate thread for everyone willing to peacefully discuss the differences, but again I think that might be pushing it. At least come over to the Christian thread and say hello once in a while
I too wish there were a thread where we could peacefully discuss differences. I want to ask, I want to further question, I want to say..."but what if this" without anyone thinking I am backing them into a corner. I truly want to learn from each person but I know sometimes as we are typing, things don't come off exactly as we mean and I wouldn't want to offend anyone or put them on the defense.
So thank you all for letting us come in and question. I had very strong "anti" reactions when I initially heard wicca or witchcraft. But that would be my upbringing and my lack of actually knowing what you people were talking about. I think I am just now in a place in my life where I am ready to openly listen before dismissing anyone. So this has been a great learning experience. I will continue to read and learn.