The Pagan Circle

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like to consider recycling and composting and organic gardening all part of my "religion." I give to the earth what I take from her. I feed her my chicken's poo, i feed my hens back their shells. i dont throw more than the bare minium into the local dump. We reycle to the max. i dont use pesticides, except on the fire ants, because my husband is severely allergic, but I always ask for forgiveness. I tried every organic option, but nothing worked. I found I can give them areas of the yard that are low traffic. I then water them and give them a pot with dirt in the corner. As long as they stay there, we are all good. but they cant get where hubby has to be or its evil killing time. :somad

I have read tarot for years, but never for profit. My deck was handed down from Grandma. I believe they are pushing a good 50 years old. They are worn well and I trust them fully. Grandma taught me that if you use them they will turn on you. So I have never used the cards to profit. Just to help those with questions and to help me see things more clearly. We have had a good understanding.

I find a great deal of peace when I go to the forest and pray. i am a true tree hugger. I like the way the pure earth feels on my feet and in my nose. the smell, the power. Its calming to the soul.

When I feel out of whack. i find getting my hands in the dirt and tending a garden are more soothing and more spiritual than anything else i have ever known.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My interest is picqued. Samhain sounds a lot like the Mexican "Day of the Dead".
I wouldn't classify myself as "religious" as I do not see being religious as being the same as "Godly". I don't know what I am. "looking" perhaps? Definitely earthy. Yes if I have to slap a label on myself it would be "earthy". Happily I get the feeling you are not worried about whether I slap a label on myself.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No labels needed! We are all searching for our connection with deity. Some of us feel more comfortable addressing the feminine side of deity, some the masculine, and some both. Did you know that the old Hebrew name for God embraces both the male AND female within it?

I keep my pagan beliefs very low key in my community. Spirituality is a very personal thing and doesn't need the approval of anyone else. I don't know if I would be persecuted, but I do know it would make many of my friends uncomfortable if they knew. I've started attending a local christian church- but it's more for the networking, which is the true purpose of church. It doesn't bother me to attend these services because as I said before - all Gods are One God.

What I really like about Wicca is that it encourages you to be more aware of the cycles of our lives- the moon phases, the seasons, the stages of our lives, even the expanding and contracting of the Universe (ever think about how THAT resembles a giant heartbeat? Do you need anything more to recognize deity?)

Blessings on your house, and all within!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hillfarm said:
I find a great deal of peace when I go to the forest and pray. i am a true tree hugger. I like the way the pure earth feels on my feet and in my nose. the smell, the power. Its calming to the soul.

When I feel out of whack. i find getting my hands in the dirt and tending a garden are more soothing and more spiritual than anything else i have ever known.
I think the above very accurately reflects how I feel. I feel a deep connection to the earth. I feel like my spirituality is intrinsically tied to caring for my environment.
However, I am still missing something. I feel a very strong spiritual need that I haven't been able to fill. I have a lot of questions I wish I had answers to. Mostly regarding my role in life.
As you said BriteSea - one strength of churches is the support the people give one another. I miss that...but not ready to go to a church since I don't like a lot of the other stuff that is shackled to organized religion.
So I will be following along and interested to read all that all of you have to say.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rathbone said:
hillfarm said:

I think the above very accurately reflects how I feel. I feel a deep connection to the earth. I feel like my spirituality is intrinsically tied to caring for my environment.
However, I am still missing something. I feel a very strong spiritual need that I haven't been able to fill. I have a lot of questions I wish I had answers to. Mostly regarding my role in life.
As you said BriteSea - one strength of churches is the support the people give one another. I miss that...but not ready to go to a church since I don't like a lot of the other stuff that is shackled to organized religion.
So I will be following along and interested to read all that all of you have to say.
Not trying to discourage you from exploring Wicca, but have you considered checking out the Unitarian Universalist churches? We used to joke that the UU church members were "pagans with kids" - i.e., folks who felt they wanted to a) keep on the down-low or b) have a church experience for the kids without all the baggage. Many of the UU churches have pagan sub-groups and celebrate the solstices and equinoxes etc. Just an option to check out.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For folks wanting to explore Wicca and other pagan paths, check out The Witches' Voice which has thousands of articles and other resources, including a whole section on the Basics. There's even an article on So... Your Friend is a Witch to help understand what that means.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hillfarm said:
I like to consider recycling and composting and organic gardening all part of my "religion."
Agreed.
Sowing and harvesting are spiritual acts. Hunting, for me, is also a spiritual act, as is culling the herd and slaughtering the livestock in the fall. For me, those are all spiritual acts, and are part of the wheel of the year and the cycle of our lives.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
in response to Annaraven=

I tend to shy from organized religion. Lately, I have not liked the demands of having to be around anyone other than immediate family. So social things like church give me a rash. :hide

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
But I do appreciate the suggestion. I actually became ordained through the Unitarian Church. Its a good place for those looking for a church with an open view.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My daughter is pagan and has surrounded herself and husband with a community of like believers. I couldn't be happier for her. I think she always felt out of place in my family of Southern Baptists. Anyway, her friends have a lot of their ceremonies in the Unitarian Universalist Church. So, yes, I would start there if you wanted to find someone who could "take you under their wing" so to say.