The Pantry is bulging!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Can't WAIT to see pics!!!! We have nowhere to really store a lot of stuff, I am trying desperately to get some boards put up on the top of the kitchen cabinets so I can store empty jars and other supplies so that there is ROOM in our cabinets for the food! Right now I have probably 15 dozen jars sitting in the middle of the floor of the kitchen because there is NOWHERE else to put them! UGH! All of my under beds are stuffed, cabinets are stuff, even the sort of empty corner in the living room is now holding stacks of jars... I need all the help I can get!!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We got held off today so its not done yet, but should be tomorrow. I did however get all the fruit and vegetables stocked, rings removed and washed off.

1419_sam_0801.jpg

Most of the vegatables, and we are not done canning vegetables yet. Still have gobs of corn to do, 30 quarts of beans, and some more tomato products.

1419_sam_0803.jpg

The dwindling fruit supply. We will have to can apples, and applesauce by the truckload.

1419_sam_0804.jpg

Our jams and jellies. We still have blackberry jam to make, grape jelly, and pumpkin butter.

1419_sam_0805.jpg

Part of the meals in a jar and meat to stock the shelves with. When we finish tomorrow.

SO I am NOT done stocking it up yet. I still have flour and sugar to put in buckets, as well as rice and loads of other stuff. Then stock our pickled things. Still a long way to go.

The shelves are not as deep as I would've liked, but it is larger than originally planned so all is well.....

Our canning is about halfway done, with a break coming up in a month :p

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Nice pantry.

We don't have ours done yet, either, and it's been about a year. Maybe almost 2 now. We have the 10x10 hole dug out, and that's about it so far.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Nice pics lil buddy! Did you can those Red Gold tomatoes yourself too ;) Looks like you're making much progress! :woot

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Nice pics lil buddy! Did you can those Red Gold tomatoes yourself too ;) Looks like you're making much progress! :woot
Thanks Aly and Cindi!

yepp I did em myself, we got them when we ran out a couple of monthes ago.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Absolutely lovely pantry, BB!!!! I love seeing that more than money in the bank. My mother would have given her eye teeth for a pantry like that and so would I. My granny had one but she stored her canned goods in the cellar anyway.

We never had problems of stacking jars on jars except the occasional fall and breakage, but I read once that stacking the jars in that manner compromised the seal of the jars on the bottom of the stack. Probably not a grain of truth in it...we never had a problem.

Does look a little scary, though, with them being on the top shelf and stacked one on another...could fall and hit you in the head! :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks! I think right now I have 53 Jars of Corn, and 73 Jars of Beans......

I have them set up there pretty good. I had to stack them because we are no where done with canning, so all space counts! But I seriously doubt that would compromise the seal, as it don't get hooked on it and bring it up. :hu Time will tell....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just look how rich you are!!!

Believe it or not, when I was growing up on the homestead and was sent to the cellar for a jar or two of canned up foods I always stopped to admire all the jewel tones of the jars and I thought to myself, "Man, we sure are rich!".

This thought was coming from a girl whose clothing all fit in a cardboard box under her homemade log bed~ that she shared with her sister....and it was the bottom bunk. The top bunk was my brother's bed. Our floors were cardboard covered and we lived in just two rooms of a small cabin.....but I still felt much more rich than my peers when I saw 200 qts. each of simply every kind of food on those shelves. We even had a giant whiskey barrel full of pickled corn sitting out in the back yard!

No, I wasn't dropped on my head as a child....I just knew true wealth when I saw it. :D