The Pantry is bulging!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks super, and it's going to be so satisfying for you to watch it fill up!

When it comes to planning what to store, I just average out what we eat per week/month and try to can/store about 10% extra so we have choice. We did pretty well this past year and have kept notes, we'll be upping a few things a bit and canning a bit less of others. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have read that you should keep a tally for 1 month . write down everything you use. start building your supply by buying 1 or 2 extra of every item . this should get you to a 3 month supply . then build up from there to 1 years worth . this works great for things like condiments and purchased stuff.

G

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Doesn't the LDS site have a volume calculator, we talked about here over a year ago?
I think this is it http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

It's looking great on that pantry. You can come make me one now :lol:

I always buy extra when there are sales so I can stock up a bit more as I use the older stuff. It's slowly building a bigger store.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a beautiful sight! A nice well stocked pantry is truly wealth. My favorite things that make me feel wealthy: A well stocked pantry so I know my family will be fed. Stacked bales of hay for the winter so I know my horses will be fed. Lumber and building materials so I can make what I need. My garden planted and bearing fresh veggies for us, spring and fall.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
SO jealous of you having everything in one place!! I don't have a space like that, and can't WAIT until I do!!!!!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That looks fantastic. I love the look of full jars and have always said that they take up just as much space when they are empty so you might as well fill them. I try to do about 2 years worth but if there is a bumper crop of anything it gets canned.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
That looks fantastic. I love the look of full jars and have always said that they take up just as much space when they are empty so you might as well fill them. I try to do about 2 years worth but if there is a bumper crop of anything it gets canned.
I'd love to do two years, but sadly she is not big enough :/ Nor do I have the jars :p

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Corn Woman said:
I'd love to do two years, but sadly she is not big enough :/ Nor do I have the jars :p
Sending out good vibes for free jars to come your way.:fl

Latest posts