the pleasures of cold weather dishwashing

Their Other Mother

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
When I saw the picture of the humming birds it reminded me of our old house where I had a bird feeder and a humming bird feeder right out the kitchen window over the sink. One of my favorite memories was about 20 years ago, it was raining, long and slow all day and my son was about 4. I was washing dishes in warm water and he was sitting on the counter next to the sink with his feet in the water and we watched birds all morning. Just the two of us at home and it was so quiet and peacefull.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: Between baking something in the oven and doing the dishes, that is how I keep warm in the winter w/o starting the woodstove.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
:lol: Between baking something in the oven and doing the dishes, that is how I keep warm in the winter w/o starting the woodstove.
It's true--I bake more in the winter months too.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm serious, y'all. I'm fixin to call Myth Busters. That's a load of hooey for sure. Shame on y'all for perpetuating this urban legend. (pleasure and dishwashing in the same sentence... pft. crazy talk.)

Cassandra

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I enjoy washing dishes, always have. Doesn't mean my sink isn't full of dishes right now, but when they get done, it's a pleasant thing for me to do. I love watching the birds right outside my window during the day, so I'm most likely to do them in the morning.

I do have a dishwasher and do use it, but all the little diddly things that I don't like to put in there I wash. I wash the pans, unless the dishwasher is nearly full, because I'm going to have to use them again sooner than I will be running the washer. I've got plenty of plates, so once it's filled, it runs - and then hubby puts everything away.

In the summer I like to wash the dishes because it gets the dirt stains off my fingernails from the garden - in the winter I like it because it warms my creaky bones.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
I'm serious, y'all. I'm fixin to call Myth Busters. That's a load of hooey for sure. Shame on y'all for perpetuating this urban legend. (pleasure and dishwashing in the same sentence... pft. crazy talk.)
Move a couple thousand miles north to where you get weeks on end where the temperature doesn't get above 0 F, and live in an insufficiently-insulated 1970 bungalow, and then we'll see whatcha think about a warm hand-soak a coupla times a day... :)

Pat, who thought ceiling fans were a pointless affectation til living in NC for some years (although now I see their value even in more northerly summers and am a True Believer)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've always liked to wash my dishes in the morning during winter...and my old house had a heat vent on the kickplate right where I stood so I had warm hands and warm feet. If I ever build a house it will definitely have a heat vent in the kickplate under the sink area again:>)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sorry I just can't agree. I grew up with a huge family and have horror stories about all the dishes. I love dishwashers and use ithem twice a day. I get really bad itchy red arms and hands if I wash in the sink. That's my story and I am sticking to it. :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I like washing dishes sometimes. Usually on the weekend. I just enjoy the solitude. Mention dishes at my house and everyone scatters. As long as I can stretch out the washing I can depend on everyone staying away. LOL..
Yes in winter it warms my hands and in summer it gets all the deep down garden dirt.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
My dishwasher died early in the year and I swear I found every possible thing that could be interpreted to be a dish before I started hand washing- I had dirty dishes everywhere.
But now that I have taken control of my passive aggressive attitude about it, I'm enjoying it some too. Won't rhapsodize but some.
But I do miss the sterilization cycle for canning jars a lot. I just always have a better use for spare money than having a repair man come up the hill for $100 just to see what's wrong.